[GSOC 2013] OI File Manager Connect

Yash Girdhar

Mar 14, 2013, 1:43:38 AM3/14/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
hello everyone
First, let me introduce myself.
I am yashasvi girdhar, a second year engineering student, pursuing my B Tech in Computer Science and Engineering, from IIIT-Hyderabad.I am a newbie in contributing to the open source.

I am interested in the gsoc idea "OI file manager connect", i.e adding the cloud storage support for OI file manager.I have an experience of 6-7 months in developing Android applications and developed many apps till now, latest for the international EESTEC competition.Right now, I am working as an android developer intern in an Indian company.

Referring to the this post.
I have made some UI mock ups as to how the cloud part can be embedded with the existing file manager and started making a demo android app for the same.
These are just the basic ones.Much more can be included.
I haven't focused on the design, icons but an interface that makes it pretty easy to move files from local to cloud/vice -versa and to manage the cloud acconts quite easily.
Link to mock ups: here

Please provide feedback and kindly excuse the interface as I just focused on how the cloud can be integrated.
Also, can you please tell me what do you want in the demo application, as in, a support for one of the cloud accounts would be sufficient, right?

thank you :)

Friedger Müffke

Mar 14, 2013, 7:05:35 AM3/14/13
to OpenIntents .
Hi,

welcome!

I was referring to a dropdown navigation like in the GMail or Maps app.
What do you mean by demo application?

What is important for the GSoC is a proposal what you would like to do over the summer with good timeline.

Cheers
Friedger

Yash Girdhar

Mar 14, 2013, 6:10:55 PM3/14/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late reply.

Actually, through the demo application, I meant that I am trying to implement some of the features of the idea and to understand the original code, so as to get a feel of what I'd be doing in the project.
And regarding the mock ups, are you saying the following thing : updated

Also, I wanted to ask one more thing, apart from the above topic.You have mentioned in the threads, that last year OI notepad and OI shopping lists were connected with OI safe and web interface, but referred to this document and the current web interface, OI shopping lists is not mentioned.So, was it covered previous year?

Friedger Müffke

Mar 15, 2013, 9:31:11 AM3/15/13
to OpenIntents .
And regarding the mock ups, are you saying the following thing : updated

Looks good for the new Android design!

Also, I wanted to ask one more thing, apart from the above topic.You have mentioned in the threads, that last year OI notepad and OI shopping lists were connected with OI safe and web interface, but referred to this document and the current web interface, OI shopping lists is not mentioned.So, was it covered previous year?
It is the connection with OI Sync, not OI Safe.

Cheers
Friedger

Yash Girdhar

Mar 15, 2013, 9:51:07 PM3/15/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Starting with the cloud implementation, I have made a basic app that implements some basic features of dropbox and enables the user to manipulate the files, in the same way as the local files.
I have used the dropbox sync api, so right now, the app has access to only one folder(its own folder on the dropbox).
The features are:
creating/deleting a file, showing all the files and copying a file from sdcard to dropbox, given its absolute path(the one which "fileManagerDemo" generates, so this can be easily integrated with that).Also, I Didn't focus on the UI for now.
Now, I am trying to integrate this with the OI File Manager Code.

I am attaching the apk and the github link to the code is this.
First, click the "authenticate the app" button.

One more thing, I think when we are adding the cloud acccounts to the file manager, we can also add some extra features in search, like selecting the location of search, which now includes the cloud also.Similiar to the following thing: search
DropboxBasicApp.apk

Yash Girdhar

Mar 16, 2013, 12:26:09 PM3/16/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Actually the previous link for mock ups expired by some reason.
Here is the new link : search

Yash Girdhar

Mar 16, 2013, 6:58:11 PM3/16/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
I integrated the dropbox app with the OI FilemangerDemo.
Actually, it was not a big deal, but I thought, to understand the File namager code,it would be good to start with FilemangerDemo app.
The Dropbox functions are the same, you can copy a file from sdcard to dropbox or delete a file which is present on the dropbox, by referring to its local copy also(now, you can select the files from OI file manager, instead of typing the path).
Link to the code: https://github.com/itsyash/Android/tree/master/OI%20File%20Manager%20CloudDemo
I am attaching the apk.Please provide feedback, so that I can improve upon this.

cheers :)
OI File Manager Demo.apk

Yash Girdhar

Mar 18, 2013, 9:33:13 AM3/18/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
I have been able to integrate a small part of dropbox, with the original file manager.
@friedger: I have implemented a basic prototype of the navigation bar(the layouts that I made previously), using the android action bar.
right now, the app works for the following test case:
1.long-press any file.
2.select  move from the menu, that appears.
3.Navigate to dropbox, using the action bar on the top.The activity shows all the files, present in your dropbox folder, with the last modified time.I didn't concenterate the UI part here.It shows all the files in a textview.
4.Now, click the button, move here.
the file is added(is it is not duplicate), with the updated list of all the files.
5.Delete any file/folder by the "delete file from dropbox" button, in the same activity, by giving its absolute path as shown in the textview above.If it exists, it would be deleted..

I am attaching the apk.
Please provide some feedback, if I am going in the right way, so that I can improve upon it.
Also, according to my experience, the OI File Manager code is not documented upto the right level, for the newbies.
So, I would like to document the code as well/ or prepare a readme explaining all the major functions, so that its much easy for the new people to start with developing.

cheers :)
OI File Manager.apk

Yash Girdhar

Mar 24, 2013, 9:34:16 PM3/24/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks, any feedback on this ? please provide some opinions .