[ GSoC 2013 ] Design guidelines for Android 4.0 and offline Optical Character Recognition

Varun Varshney

Mar 18, 2013, 12:28:51 AM3/18/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hello all ,

I am Varun Varshney, a 3rd year engineering student, pursuing my B Tech in Computer Science and Engineering, from JIIT - Noida. I am not new to open source technologies and have been using them for quite a long time now.

I am interested in the idea " Design Guidelines for Android 4.0 " . I understand that most OI applications do not follow these guidelines yet. I have good knowledge of Java , c/c++ and have been working on android for 1 year and have developed a number of applications. I have also worked on Gnome / GTK and dabbled in Firefox for android.

One more idea I would like to propose is that of offline optical character recognition in OI applications such as OI shopping list.
Basically if the user sees any text he wants to add to his list , he can just take a photograph of that text with his camera and the text would be extracted from the image and added to his list.
And all this can be done without being connected to the internet. So if even if you dont have an internet connection you can use the OCR feature.

Please provide feedback and tell me if you want further details.

Thanks a lot.

Varun Varshney

Mar 18, 2013, 8:25:45 AM3/18/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Also , the OCR feature can be used in other OI apps too like in OI Notepad. It can also feature recognizing quite a few different languages.

Varun Varshney

Mar 28, 2013, 3:49:09 AM3/28/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
I have been doing some research on the design guidelines for android 4.0 and have noticed some areas that could be improved.

1) Default action of long pressing an item brings up the contextual menu for that particular item.
    This is the old way of doing things and the new way is to use the contextual action bar.

2) In apps containing tabs like OI About , tabhost is used. Furthermore it does not offer lateral navigation (swipe or fling) to change between tabs.
    Fragments can be used along with view pager to implement swiping horizontally between tabs. This will integrate nicely with the action bar as the action bar can be used to add tabs.

Please let me know your views on this. Thanks.

Friedger Müffke

Mar 28, 2013, 5:45:14 AM3/28/13
to OpenIntents .
Yes, there are valid improvements...