Oi safe

Sue

Feb 4, 2012, 6:32:08 AM2/4/12
to OpenIntents
Is it possible to retrieve passwords, UNENCRYPTED?

Peli

Feb 4, 2012, 1:25:47 PM2/4/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com

Is it possible to retrieve passwords, UNENCRYPTED?

In OI Safe, use menu > export database, and you find the passwords in oisafe.csv on your SD card.

Peli

Sue

Feb 6, 2012, 5:33:40 PM2/6/12
to OpenIntents
I tried this but when I open the file on my SD card, passwords are
still encrypted.

Randy McEoin

Feb 6, 2012, 7:56:02 PM2/6/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com
oisafe.xml should be encrypted.   oisafe.csv would be unencrypted.   Are you sure you're looking at oisafe.csv and not oisafe.xml?

Randy

Sue

Feb 6, 2012, 8:04:11 PM2/6/12
to OpenIntents
I am looking at oisafe.csv. I don't have a file with an xml extension.

Randy McEoin

Feb 8, 2012, 7:33:51 PM2/8/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Could you sanitize an example of what the CSV looks like?   Obviously don't want you to share your data, but if you could modify it enough without changing the overall look, that might help us understand what's happening.   The CSV should look something like this.

Category,Description,Website,Username,Password,Notes
Business,Amazon ,www.amazon.com,,123456,
Cards,AMEX,,,,card #: 1234 5678
Organizations,AAMC,,,,#: 1234546
Personal,Driver's License,,,,#: 123456789

Sue

Feb 8, 2012, 9:58:51 PM2/8/12
to OpenIntents
Do I want to FIRST set up the file on my computer, then export the
file from my COMPUTER to OI Safe on my phone, then generate the
encrypted passwords? My csv file looks like yours but with the
password encrypted. I have been trying to enter all info on my
phone, then export to my SD card.

“Category”, “Description”, “Website”, Username”, “Password”, “Notes”,
“Last edited” “Medical”, "CVS", “cvs.com”, “MyName”, “yyur1qza,”, Feb
6, 2012 5:21.11 PM Eastern Standard Time

Randy McEoin

Feb 9, 2012, 8:12:31 PM2/9/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Guess I'm not clear what you're trying to accomplish.

Based on what you shared it appears that it successfully Exported to a CSV.   If you have a Category called "Medical" and the CSV shows "Medical", that means it successfully decrypted the particular field.   Likewise with all the other fields.  All fields are encrypted with the same encryption, not just the password field.   The password fields is not treated any differently than the other fields.

Sue

Feb 10, 2012, 1:00:57 AM2/10/12
to OpenIntents
I am trying to find out if it is possible to retrieve passwords
UNENCRYPTED.
When I choose "export" and send them to my SD card, I get a message
that they are unencrypted, but they are encrypted when I look at the
file.

Peli

Feb 10, 2012, 3:51:58 AM2/10/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com
This is strange, because I tried it, and I find the unencrypted passwords in the .csv file.

Do you see the unencrypted password if you enter OI Safe?

I can think of the following issues:
* Did you have a recent Android version upgrade? Maybe all passwords got scrambled after an update, in which case you are also not able to see your unencrypted passwords in OI Safe.

* Are you sure you are looking at the correct file? Maybe you write to "/mnt/sdcard", but you look at "/mnt/sdcard-ext", in which case you will always look at an old file, an not at the latest exported file.

To test this, please create a new password entry, called "test123" with user name "testuser123" and password "testpassword123". Then export the CSV file.
Do you see the user name in the CSV file? Do you see the corresponding password? Or do none of these appear in your CSV file?

Peli

Peli

Feb 10, 2012, 3:58:06 AM2/10/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com
My csv file looks like yours but with the
password encrypted.   I have been trying to enter all info on my
phone, then export to my SD card.

“Category”, “Description”, “Website”, Username”, “Password”, “Notes”,
“Last edited” “Medical”, "CVS", “cvs.com”, “MyName”, “yyur1qza,”, Feb
6, 2012 5:21.11 PM Eastern Standard Time

Another point: "yyur1qza" is already your UNENCRYPTED password. Maybe you are using OI Safe in a wrong way:
Did you use "Generate password"? In this case, this will create a new password, and overwrite any password you had entered before.

This is just for creating a new password for the first time (so that you don't have to think of a new password by yourself), and should NOT be used after you had entered your password.

Passwords will appear in plain text within OI Safe, but they are encryted when stored internally.

Once you have entered the password, you should NOT use "generate password" as this will overwrite your password by a newly created one.

You can simply fix this: Enter OI Safe, and replace for each entry the password by the password you use to log into the service. Afterwards don't use "Generate password". Now export your file, and you will see your password in the CSV file.

Peli

Sue

Feb 11, 2012, 11:53:52 AM2/11/12
to OpenIntents
Maybe you have finally figured out what I have been doing wrong. I
have been generating a password each time, because I thought the
passwords should appear encrypted, even in OI Safe. So that explains
that problem. I did "Restore" and my passwords came back unencrypted.

Have another question, now. In order to view the .csv and .ext file,
do you need to export them to your computer? I had downloaded a file
manager (not OI File Manager) on my phone, and was opening the files
and viewing them on my phone. I uninstalled the one I had been using
and installed OI File Manager, but now if I try to open it (on my
phone), I get the message, "application not available". Is it
designed to open only on my computer? I have not tried to export to
my computer.

Thank you so much for your help in this matter.

Randy McEoin

Feb 11, 2012, 12:48:57 PM2/11/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com
The .xml backup file isn't meant so much for viewing but for archiving.   It's best if you connect your phone via USB to a computer and copy the oisafe.xml file to the computer.   This makes it so if you should lose your phone or something really bad happens and all the data is lost, you can copy the oisafe.xml file from the computer back to the phone and restore it.   You could also potentially keep multiple copies of the .xml file so you could restore any of them, should you want to.

You are highly encouraged to copy the .xml file to your computer.   It's fully encrypted so without the Master Password, nobody can see what it actually contains.   I keep a recent copy of my .xml file in a Dropbox sync'd folder, so it's synchronized from my computer to the cloud for even better backup.   I have 300+ passwords, many of which are very sensitive in nature, that I just don't want to lose, so I like having it backed up in multiple locations.

If you're really interested, you can open the .xml file in any text viewer, like on Windows you can use Notepad.   However I tend to use a web browser to open the .xml since it'll format it quite nicely.

The intention of the .csv is to facilitate importing/exporting/mass editing.   You can export the .csv, copy it to your computer, then open it with a spreadsheet application like Excel or OpenOffice, manipulate it in a bulk kind of way, perhaps merge with another .csv, or what not, then save it back to a .csv, copy it to the phone and import it.   Make sure you do a Backup during all this in case the .csv you created doesn't work out so well.   You don't need to edit the .csv in something like Excel, you can edit it in Notepad or any other simple text editor.   Don't use something sophisticated like Word, since it'll want to modify the formatting.

Sue

Feb 11, 2012, 1:35:31 PM2/11/12
to OpenIntents
I think I've finally got it. Neither of these files are designed to
be opened on the phone, right?

I can't begin to thank you enough for all your patience and help.

Randy McEoin

Feb 11, 2012, 6:22:41 PM2/11/12
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Generally speaking, correct, you're better off working with these files on your computer.

Giuseppe N.

Nov 18, 2017, 4:08:15 AM11/18/17
to OpenIntents
Hi Randy, is there a way to de-crypt the xml file without OI Safe app and knowing the password?

Thanks