Google openid service is failing - Discovered 0 OpenID endpoints

Harsha

Feb 1, 2009, 4:32:59 AM2/1/09
to OpenID4Java
Hi,

My attempt to use Google openid service is failing at the moment. It
was working couple of days earlier.

The discovery URL provided is

https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id

See the log below:

- Starting discovery on URL identifier: https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
- Yadis discovery succeeded on https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
- Using Yadis normalized URL as claimedID: https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
- Ignoring invalid OP endpoint URL in XRDS file: <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?>
<URI/>

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI is not absolute
at java.net.URI.toURL(URI.java:1080)
at org.openid4java.discovery.Discovery.extractDiscoveryInformation
(Discovery.java:256)
at org.openid4java.discovery.Discovery.discover(Discovery.java:146)
at org.openid4java.discovery.Discovery.discover(Discovery.java:115)
at org.openid4java.consumer.ConsumerManager.discover
(ConsumerManager.java:540)
at org.apache.jsp.consumer_005fredirect_jsp._jspService
(consumer_005fredirect_jsp.java:100)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service
(JspServletWrapper.java:374)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile
(JspServlet.java:342)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke
(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke
(StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke
(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke
(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service
(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process
(Http11Processor.java:845)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:
447)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
- No OpenID service types found in the XRDS.
- No OpenID service endpoints discovered through Yadis; attempting
HTML discovery...
- Cached GET response does not match the required content type,
removing.
- Removing cached GET for https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
- Removing cached GET response for https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
- HTML discovery completed on: https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
- Discovered 0 OpenID endpoints.
- Association attempt, but no discovey endpoints provided.

See the response:

- Discovered 0 OpenID endpoints.

I downloaded the xrds document by directy entering the URL
https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id in the browser. That gives the
following XRDs document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xrds:XRDS xmlns:xrds="xri://$xrds" xmlns:openid="http://openid.net/
xmlns/1.0" xmlns="xri://$xrd*($v*2.0)">
<XRD>
<Service priority="0">
<Type>http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/server</Type>
<Type>http://openid.net/srv/ax/1.0</Type>
<URI>https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/ud</URI>
</Service>
</XRD>
</xrds:XRDS>

I am at a loss to understand what has changed or what I am doing
wrong.

Can anyone throw some light on this?

Regards,
Harsha

Breno

Feb 1, 2009, 10:27:53 AM2/1/09
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Our XRDS document has not changed very recently.  We added the URL to indicate that we support AX, but I believe that happened a few weeks ago.  So I am at a loss to understand what you are seeing. What version of openid4java are you using?

Breno (Google).

--
Breno de Medeiros

Harsha

Feb 1, 2009, 12:39:46 PM2/1/09
to OpenID4Java
Hi Breno,

My previously working code failed this time when I wanted to have a
new Return URL. So I downloaded the latest java-openid-sxip.jar
available from the homepage of this group; this URL:

http://openid4java.googlegroups.com/web/java-openid-sxip.jar?gda=knEEdEYAAADSE1qRS8yt2XRxzr6hdtTMYoKghRNcpK-h3e-K3t-Osc_g_WBXslP6oPcnGGLYnUpemaOZBNsWRoh06S8OcKF7E-Ea7GxYMt0t6nY0uV5FIQ

This jar also failed.

So I built a new jar from the source code. This too failed.

If you are able to generate new return URLs, can you please re-test it
with simple-openid.war and if it works, can you please send a link so
that I can download it?

Or do you have a hack that works?

Regards,
Harsha Ravnikar

On Feb 1, 10:27 am, Breno <breno.demedei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Our XRDS document has not changed very recently.  We added the URL to
> indicate that we support AX, but I believe that happened a few weeks ago.
>  So I am at a loss to understand what you are seeing. What version of
> openid4java are you using?
>
> Breno (Google).
>

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Harsha <spam.ban...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > My attempt to use Google openid service is failing at the moment. It
> > was working couple of days earlier.
>
> > The discovery URL provided is
>
> >                  https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
>
> > See the log below:
>
> > - Starting discovery on URL identifier:
> >https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
> > - Yadis discovery succeeded onhttps://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
> > - Removing cached GET forhttps://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
> > - Removing cached GET response forhttps://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id

Harsha

Feb 1, 2009, 1:06:32 PM2/1/09
to OpenID4Java, spam....@gmail.com
Breno,

I tried another thing.

I had saved a form which had the default return url that comes with
the simple-openid.war. I was able to login like I used to before.
However, instead of getting the logout link and open-id being
displayed by simple-openid/consumer_returnurl.jsp, I only see "Failed
to login!" because of failed verification.

See below log for the entire conversation:

- Verifying authentication response...
- Received positive auth response.
- Starting discovery on URL identifier:
https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmpfZtjKUiCAvFl10N7SHsYRGDH47caA6M
- Yadis discovery succeeded on https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmpfZtjKUiCAvFl10N7SHsYRGDH47caA6M
- Using Yadis normalized URL as claimedID:
https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmpfZtjKUiCAvFl10N7SHsYRGDH47caA6M
- Ignoring invalid OP endpoint URL in XRDS file: <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?>
<URI/>

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI is not absolute
at java.net.URI.toURL(URI.java:1080)
at org.openid4java.discovery.Discovery.extractDiscoveryInformation
(Discovery.java:256)
at org.openid4java.discovery.Discovery.discover(Discovery.java:146)
at org.openid4java.consumer.ConsumerManager.verifyDiscovered2
(ConsumerManager.java:1678)
at org.openid4java.consumer.ConsumerManager.verifyDiscovered
(ConsumerManager.java:1506)
at org.openid4java.consumer.ConsumerManager.verify
(ConsumerManager.java:1173)
at org.apache.jsp.consumer_005freturnurl_jsp._jspService
(consumer_005freturnurl_jsp.java:95)

- Removing cached GET for https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmpfZtjKUiCAvFl10N7SHsYRGDH47caA6M
- Removing cached GET response for
https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmpfZtjKUiCAvFl10N7SHsYRGDH47caA6M
- HTML discovery completed on: https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmpfZtjKUiCAvFl10N7SHsYRGDH47caA6M
- Discovered 0 OpenID endpoints.
- No service element found to match the ClaimedID / OP-endpoint in the
assertion.
- Discovered information verification failed.

On Feb 1, 12:39 pm, Harsha <spam.ban...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Breno,
>
> My previously working code failed this time when I wanted to have a
> new Return URL. So I downloaded the latest java-openid-sxip.jar
> available from the homepage of this group; this URL:
>
> http://openid4java.googlegroups.com/web/java-openid-sxip.jar?gda=knEE...

Breno

Feb 1, 2009, 10:31:04 PM2/1/09
to openi...@googlegroups.com, spam....@gmail.com
Hi Harsha,

We have not been receiving other complaints from consumers, so I have to assume that that is a newly introduced bug in the openid4java library. Are you configuring using Maven or some other framework that automatically returns the most recent snapshot of the library? I understand that a new snapshot was cut recently and that it includes new code in the discovery stack.

The error above appears to be either a parsing error, or a configuration error. In particular, the failure in the 2nd discovery (on the claimed id) says that there is failure to discover  a service element, when it should be looking for a signon element. It is quite possible that the error message is just inaccurate, or it may mean that there is a configuration issue. Alternatively, it may not find the URL because there are bugs in the parsing code.

One thing you can do is try to configure your client to link against the earlier version of the openid4java (the 0.9.4 snapshot, for instance) and see if the problem is still there.
--
Breno de Medeiros

Johnny Bufu

Feb 2, 2009, 4:35:15 PM2/2/09
to openi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:06:32AM -0800, Harsha wrote:
> - Using Yadis normalized URL as claimedID:
> https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmpfZtjKUiCAvFl10N7SHsYRGDH47caA6M
> - Ignoring invalid OP endpoint URL in XRDS file: <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <URI/>

Looks like the library somehow thinks it has retrieved a XRDS file
containing a <Service> element with an empty <URI/>.

> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI is not absolute
> at java.net.URI.toURL(URI.java:1080)
> at org.openid4java.discovery.Discovery.extractDiscoveryInformation
> (Discovery.java:256)

What version are you using? This stack trace is neither from 0.9.4 nor
from the latest SVN trunk.

For further and easier troubleshooting I recommend enabling debug level
logs:
http://code.google.com/p/openid4java/wiki/LoggingConfiguration

Johnny