Need help to setup new binding

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 10:53:21 AM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

as mentioned I am trying to write a new binding for the Philips Hue. Should not be that complicated, because it is a quiet self explaining REST/Json interface the Hue bridge provides.

Right now I am trying to setup my IDE and my own binding.

What I was able to do is to setup eclipse and bring it up and running. Afterwards I copied one of the existing bindings and renamed/reconfigured everything.

The following works in my binding:

  • When an item is defined in the xyz.items my generic binding provider's "processBindingConfiguration" is called.

What does not work is the following:

  • My bindings "updated" method is never called.
  • My bindings "execute" method is never called.

It seems like the Binding itself is not correctly configured in the OSGi (just a guess).
Has anybody an idea what I may have done wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Shingoo

Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen

Nov 7, 2012, 10:56:43 AM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
could you check in your code to your clone, so we can check the code there ...

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 11:14:04 AM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Working on it... Just a second ;)

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 11:58:44 AM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Pushed code to https://roman.h...@code.google.com/r/romanhartmann-shingoo/

Would be great if you could take a look... Now even the generic binding is not called... And I do not know what I changed O.o

Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen

Nov 7, 2012, 12:12:56 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
thanks!

update():

the update()-method must be implemented because your binding implements ManagedService. To register with the OSGi container ManagedService has to be provided. Which means you huebinding.xml has to be enhanced like that:

<scr:component xmlns:scr="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/scr/v1.1.0" name="org.openhab.binding.hue">

   <implementation class="org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding"/>

   <service>
      <provide interface="org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler"/>
      <provide interface="org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedService"/> <!-- new -->

</service>
   <property name="event.topics" type="String" value="openhab/command/*"/>

   <reference bind="addBindingProvider" cardinality="1..n" interface="org.openhab.binding.hue.HueBindingProvider" name="HueBindingProvider" policy="dynamic" unbind="removeBindingProvider"/>

</scr:component>

execute():

I assume you are going to send messages to the lamp rather than receiving/polling information from it, do you? If yes, you should extend AbstractEventSubscriber instead of AbstractActiveBinding. You now should implement internalCommandReceived() or internalUpdateReceived() to execute your business code. By the way, the org.openhab.persistence.sense bundle contains code for JSON handling and HTTP request sending.

Hope this helps,

Thomas E.-E.

P.S.: and yes, i WILL document that after Devoxx (the next week) ;-)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openhab/-/z9Tv6ymlaywJ.

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 12:30:08 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

Now I am getting a

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueActivator

Thats better cause I can debug it x-)

I want to do both... Send commands to the bulbs like (on, off, dimm etc.) but also polling the current status... But yes the hint was quiet good for my understanding of the whole thing and of course I wanted to start with the sending of commands ;)

I will now try to get the binding up and running...

Thanks again....

Roman

Am Mittwoch, 7. November 2012 18:13:01 UTC+1 schrieb Thomas E.-E.:
[...]

Kai Kreuzer

Nov 7, 2012, 12:33:09 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

very cool that you are already working on this binding!

I wonder if we shouldn't soon implement http://code.google.com/p/openhab/issues/detail?id=91 to make it a really nice and useful binding. What do you think?

Regards,
Kai

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openhab/-/XiAOZDKeMZMJ.

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 12:56:38 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com, k...@openhab.org
Hi Kai,

of course this would be great... Currently I am just trying to get started with this simple binding... But of course I want to have a full featured and useful binding in the end. And therefor we need a RGB-Widget or something similar...

This is my first open source project I contribute... And it is nice to have some interested and active people around helping out and having ideas... That's fun!

Let's keep in touch on that. I will raise my finger when I got my binding skeleton up and running ;)

Cheers,
Roman

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 2:42:14 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com, k...@openhab.org
I don't get it. Maybe it is because I am new to OSGi... When I send the first command to my binding I get the following error. Code is committed to https://roman.h...@code.google.com/r/romanhartmann-shingoo/

!ENTRY org.openhab.binding.hue 4 0 2012-11-07 20:35:30.295

!MESSAGE [SCR] Method was not found: addBindingProvider(...)

Details:

Problematic reference = Reference[name = HueBindingProvider, interface = org.openhab.binding.hue.HueBindingProvider, policy = dynamic, cardinality = 1..n, target = null, bind = addBindingProvider, unbind = removeBindingProvider]

of service component = org.openhab.binding.hue

component implementation class = org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding

located in bundle with symbolic name = org.openhab.binding.hue

bundle location = reference:file:/Users/roman/Documents/HueDevelopment/openHAB_workspace/romanhartmann-shingoo/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.hue/

20:35:30.296 ERROR OSGi[:98] - [SCR] Method was not found: addBindingProvider(...)

Details:

Problematic reference = Reference[name = HueBindingProvider, interface = org.openhab.binding.hue.HueBindingProvider, policy = dynamic, cardinality = 1..n, target = null, bind = addBindingProvider, unbind = removeBindingProvider]

of service component = org.openhab.binding.hue

component implementation class = org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding

located in bundle with symbolic name = org.openhab.binding.hue

bundle location = reference:file:/Users/roman/Documents/HueDevelopment/openHAB_workspace/romanhartmann-shingoo/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.hue/

and

20:35:30.338 ERROR OSGi[:98] - An unexpected runtime error has occurred.

org.osgi.service.component.ComponentException: The component was not built because some of its references could not be bound. The component is Component[

name = org.openhab.binding.hue

activate = activate

deactivate = deactivate

modified =

configuration-policy = optional

factory = null

autoenable = true

immediate = false

implementation = org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding

state = Unsatisfied

properties = {event.topics=openhab/command/*}

serviceFactory = false

serviceInterface = [org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler, org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedService]

references = {

Reference[name = HueBindingProvider, interface = org.openhab.binding.hue.HueBindingProvider, policy = dynamic, cardinality = 1..n, target = null, bind = addBindingProvider, unbind = removeBindingProvider]

}

located in bundle = org.openhab.binding.hue_1.1.0.qualifier [98]

]

Kai Kreuzer

Nov 7, 2012, 3:55:35 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Your huebinding.xml says that your HueBinding class wants to have HueBindingProvider services that should be added by a "addBindingProvider" method and removed by a "removeBindingProvider" method. You hence need to add such methods to your HueBinding class (see other Binding classes, they do exactly the same).

Hope this helps,
Kai

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openhab/-/zkI-H-fzpZMJ.

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 4:12:23 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kai,

That pointed me to the right direction! My binding inherited from "AbstractEventSubscriber" but it should have inherited "AbstractEventSubscriberBinding<ExecBindingProvider>". The superclass implements these methods... Now it works as expected...

Thank you for pushing me in the right direction...

Cheers,
Roman

Kai Kreuzer

Nov 7, 2012, 4:14:05 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Note that you need to inherit from "AbstractEventSubscriberBinding<HueBindingProvider>", not "AbstractEventSubscriberBinding<ExecBindingProvider>".

Regards,
Kai

Shingoo

Nov 7, 2012, 4:16:27 PM11/7/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com, k...@openhab.org
Sorry, copy paste error... Of course I changed that accordingly.

Shingoo

Nov 8, 2012, 5:16:19 PM11/8/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com, k...@openhab.org
Yet another silly question. I am sure it is something easy, but that already cost me a lot of time and I don't get it ;(

I have a written a working prototype to control my hues. To do this I make some REST calls to the bridge by utilizing "jersey-client-1.14.jar". That works quite well by adding it to the eclipse projects class path.

Now I am trying to do the same in my bundle. These were the steps I did:

1. I created a /lib folder in my hue binding project.
2. Added the jersey-client-1.14.jar in that folder.
3. Added the jar in the MANIFEST.MF in the classpath: Bundle-ClassPath: ., lib/jersey-client-1.14.jar
4. Checked that it was also correctly added to the projects classpath.
5. In the Eclipse workspace I have no compiling errors.

At runtime I have the phenomenon that I get a classdef not found exception when creating the jersey client with Client.create();

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.event 4 0 2012-11-08 23:14:43.975

!MESSAGE Exception while dispatching event org.osgi.service.event.Event [topic=openhab/command/Hue_Bulb_2] to handler org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding@70f5f42b

!STACK 0

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.sun.jersey.spi.service.ServiceFinder

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.init(Client.java:213)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.access$000(Client.java:118)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client$1.f(Client.java:191)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client$1.f(Client.java:187)

at com.sun.jersey.spi.inject.Errors.processWithErrors(Errors.java:193)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.<init>(Client.java:187)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.<init>(Client.java:159)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.create(Client.java:669)

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.bridge.HueBridge.getSettingsJson(HueBridge.java:64)

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.bridge.HueBridge.pairBridgeIfNecessary(HueBridge.java:19)

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding.receiveCommand(HueBinding.java:37)

at org.openhab.core.events.AbstractEventSubscriber.handleEvent(AbstractEventSubscriber.java:62)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerWrapper.handleEvent(EventHandlerWrapper.java:197)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerTracker.dispatchEvent(EventHandlerTracker.java:197)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerTracker.dispatchEvent(EventHandlerTracker.java:1)

at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)

at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:148)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventAdminImpl.dispatchEvent(EventAdminImpl.java:135)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventAdminImpl.sendEvent(EventAdminImpl.java:78)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventComponent.sendEvent(EventComponent.java:39)

at org.openhab.core.internal.events.EventPublisherImpl.sendCommand(EventPublisherImpl.java:76)

at org.openhab.ui.webapp.internal.servlet.CmdServlet.service(CmdServlet.java:115)

at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ServletRegistration.service(ServletRegistration.java:61)

at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.processAlias(ProxyServlet.java:128)

at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.service(ProxyServlet.java:60)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:598)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:486)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:231)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1065)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:413)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:192)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:999)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:250)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:149)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:111)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.handleRequest(AbstractHttpConnection.java:454)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:890)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:944)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:630)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:230)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:77)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:606)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:46)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:603)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:538)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

23:14:43.992 ERROR OSGi[:98] - Exception while dispatching event org.osgi.service.event.Event [topic=openhab/command/Hue_Bulb_2] to handler org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding@70f5f42b

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.sun.jersey.spi.service.ServiceFinder

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.init(Client.java:213)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.access$000(Client.java:118)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client$1.f(Client.java:191)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client$1.f(Client.java:187)

at com.sun.jersey.spi.inject.Errors.processWithErrors(Errors.java:193)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.<init>(Client.java:187)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.<init>(Client.java:159)

at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.create(Client.java:669)

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.bridge.HueBridge.getSettingsJson(HueBridge.java:64)

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.bridge.HueBridge.pairBridgeIfNecessary(HueBridge.java:19)

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.HueBinding.receiveCommand(HueBinding.java:37)

Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen

Nov 8, 2012, 5:53:55 PM11/8/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

did you check the package imports of your binding?

* open Manifest-Editor (doubleclick Manifest.MF)
* open tab "Dependencies"
* add "com.sun.jersey.spi.service" to imported packages

Hope this helps,

Thomas E.-E.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openhab/-/QlDTjO4dBOsJ.

Shingoo

Nov 9, 2012, 1:03:56 AM11/9/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I already tried that, but I am not able to choose that there... I am also curious why for example the org.openhab.io.rest bundle does not declare its jesey dependency in its manifest dependencies... That was the reason why i did not mind... What may be the reason that I do not get the "com.sun.jersey.spi.service" package imported?

Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen

Nov 9, 2012, 3:40:45 AM11/9/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
that is (most likely) due to the fact that the given package is simply not available in the referenced jars ;-)

The rest-binding refers to jersey-bundle.jar (which contains the package) but you refer to jersey-client.jar and jersey-core.jar ...

Regards,

Thomas E.-E.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openhab/-/EME7adm2yvgJ.

Shingoo

Nov 10, 2012, 5:23:44 AM11/10/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
There is a checkbox "Show non-exported packages" at the bottom of the list... If I check that, the packages show up and are selectable. But then I get an error that no Bundle is providing this service... So I guess my bundle has to export that service... But that cannot be the solution I guess... I do not want to provide jersey to other bundler. I just want to use it internally.

I think the best way would be to run jersey as standalone bundle to be used by different other bundles like the rest bundle... Right?

Shingoo

Nov 10, 2012, 12:19:36 PM11/10/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
If I add all three jars it still doesn't show up... I don't get it to work properly. And I don't have an idea how to move on...

Shingoo

Nov 11, 2012, 1:01:24 PM11/11/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I "solved" the problem by adding the following jars to the target platform:

jersey-client-1.15.jar
jersey-core-1.15.jar
jsr311-api-1.0.jar

That allows me to add them as dependency in my bundle... Now I am able to develop the binding, but I do not think, that this solution is the preferred one. I think we should add a bundle that is provided by the openHAB platform that contains jersey.

Shingoo

Nov 11, 2012, 1:07:17 PM11/11/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
-solved-

v detez

Nov 29, 2012, 8:50:33 AM11/29/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello guy's,

I am joining you to this post because I am also a bit lost to start a new binding.

First I would like to create a Dummy Binding.  Could you help me please?  or share me a dummy sample if you have one.

The goal is of course create a specific binding for Velbus, my home automation system.

How can I link a light for example with sayhello or saygoodbye action define in my binding?

To develop OSGI components do you use specific plugin of eclipse?

thks

Valery

Pali

Nov 29, 2012, 10:37:43 AM11/29/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Valery,

I struggled with same problem, when I started to develop my first binding. I'm not sure is this official, but Thomas has recently added maven "plugin template" to repository. In fact, I successfully generate my second binding with that, so big thanks to Thomas.

See further details from readme.txt

-P

Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen

Nov 29, 2012, 11:24:16 AM11/29/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
no, it's not quite official although it is a good starting point :-)

valery...@arexo.be

Nov 29, 2012, 4:31:41 PM11/29/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi thomas

I faced to [ERROR] Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve target platform specification artifact org.openhab:targetplatform
:target:openhab:1.1.0-SNAPSHOT -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.InternalErrorException: Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve target platform specification ar
tifact org.openhab:targetplatform:target:openhab:1.1.0-SNAPSHOT
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:168)

when I am starting your command

Any idea?

Valery

honkt...@gmail.com

May 16, 2013, 2:03:51 PM5/16/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com, valery...@arexo.be
Hi,

I followed the wiki guides to setting up IDE and implementing new bundles, but trying to compile the onkyo binding from pauli's clone,
I get:

D:\openhab-devel\openhab\main\bundles\binding>mvn archetype:generate -B -DarchetypeGroupId=org.openhab.archetype -DarchetypeArtifactId=org.openhab.archetype.binding -DarchetypeVersion=1.2.0-SNAPSHOT -Dauthor=PAULI -Dversion=1.2.0 -DartifactId=org.openhab.binding.onkyo -Dpackage=org.openhab.binding.onkyo -Dbinding-name=onkyo
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve target platform specification artifact org.openhab:targetplatform:target:openhab:1.3.0-SNAPSHOT -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.InternalErrorException: Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve target platform specification artifact org.openhab:targetplatform:target:openhab:1.3.0-SNAPSHOT
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:168)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:290)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:230)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:409)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:352)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve target platform specification artifact org.openhab:targetplatform:target:openhab:1.3.0-SNAPSHOT
        at org.eclipse.tycho.core.resolver.DefaultTargetPlatformConfigurationReader.addTargetArtifact(DefaultTargetPlatformConfigurationReader.java:334)
        at org.eclipse.tycho.core.resolver.DefaultTargetPlatformConfigurationReader.setTarget(DefaultTargetPlatformConfigurationReader.java:288)
        at org.eclipse.tycho.core.resolver.DefaultTargetPlatformConfigurationReader.getTargetPlatformConfiguration(DefaultTargetPlatformConfigurationReader.java:71)
        at org.eclipse.tycho.core.resolver.DefaultTychoDependencyResolver.setupProject(DefaultTychoDependencyResolver.java:78)
        at org.eclipse.tycho.core.maven.TychoMavenLifecycleParticipant.afterProjectsRead(TychoMavenLifecycleParticipant.java:77)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:274)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:156)
        ... 11 more
[ERROR]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/InternalErrorException

Mh. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for any hints
Sascha