Has anyone bluetooth working ?

Nico Lembrechts

Dec 17, 2012, 7:13:33 AM12/17/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Since I started playing with openhab I never could make the bluetooth addon working. I tried it on different hardware and linux versions (i386, raspberry)
The problem is with the bluecove library. I always receive the following error :
13:00:19.945 ERROR o.o.b.b.i.BTDeviceDiscoveryService[:237] - Error while initializing local bluetooth device.
javax.bluetooth.BluetoothStateException: BlueCove com.intel.bluetooth.BluetoothStackBlueZ|com.intel.bluetooth.BluetoothStackBlueZDBus not available
at com.intel.bluetooth.BlueCoveImpl.loadStackClass(BlueCoveImpl.java:356)

From what i could find on Google this has to do with the libbluetooth.so module. I tried all suggestions like installing the bluetooth-dev package and linking to older versions etc but with no success.
So if anyone has this working please let me know how you did it .

Thanks in advance.

pauld...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2013, 8:58:38 AM6/30/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I too have this problem, with no idea how to solve it unfortunately. :/

martin.o...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2014, 1:58:11 PM4/24/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Also have this problem. Was thinking i could find the answer in this post..

martin.o...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2014, 2:12:25 PM4/24/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
this is the error from the log

18:30:18.794 ERROR o.o.b.b.i.BTDeviceDiscoveryService[:217]- Error while initializing local bluetooth device.

javax.bluetooth.BluetoothStateException: BlueCove com.intel.bluetooth.BluetoothStackBlueZ|com.intel.bluetooth.BluetoothStackBlueZDBus not av
ailable
    at com.intel.bluetooth.BlueCoveImpl.loadStackClass(BlueCoveImpl.java:356)
    at com.intel.bluetooth.BlueCoveImpl.detectStack(BlueCoveImpl.java:447)
    at com.intel.bluetooth.BlueCoveImpl.access$500(BlueCoveImpl.java:69)
    at com.intel.bluetooth.BlueCoveImpl$1.run(BlueCoveImpl.java:1044)
    at com.intel.bluetooth.BlueCoveImpl.detectStackPrivileged(BlueCoveImpl.java:1042)

I checked in the bundle
org.openhab.bindings.bluetooth-1.4.0.jar

the lib directory has bluecove-2.1.1-snapshot.jar which the library with intel in it

these classes are not in the jar so that is the problem.If they were there then it might work or go a bit further
.com.intel.bluetooth.BluetoothStackBlueZ
.com.intel.bluetooth.BluetoothStackBlueZDBus

martin.o...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2014, 2:22:06 PM4/24/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
the classes that missing are in bluecove gpl jar. Not sure why they missing from the bluetooth bundle.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bluecove/files/BlueCove/2.1.0/

Does any know who looks after the blue tooth bundle?

martin.o...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2014, 2:28:25 PM4/24/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com

Kai Kreuzer

Apr 24, 2014, 3:13:58 PM4/24/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
You are right, according to http://bluecove.org/:

"BlueCove-GPL is additional GPL licensed module to support BlueCove runtime on Linux BlueZ."

So this library is only required when using BlueZ on Linux - for Windows and Mac OSX it is not required.
The problem with the library is that it is GPL - hence we are not allowed to package it together with the EPL’d openHAB code, so that it is missing.
For people trying to use it on Linux, we would have to find a way to add it - not sure what would be the best way.

So far, I did not care too much, because I feel that the normal Bluetooth is not really that relevant in the end. Much more interesting is Bluetooth LE, which will allow beacons and multiple connections at the same time etc. And for BLE, we will anyhow require a completely different set of libraries…

Best regards,
Kai

joakim....@outlook.com

May 12, 2014, 8:52:57 AM5/12/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
Are there any not so distant plans of a BLE binding? Everyone in my family has a FitBit Flex, among other things, that would be awesome for presence detection.

Best regards,
Paul

Kai Kreuzer

May 13, 2014, 2:39:01 PM5/13/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
Do you think it is possible to have a „generic“ BLE binding?
Is the application layer of BLE specified in a way that this can be done? I am no BLE expert, so I cannot really tell.
From what I have seen so far, I would rather expect that one might need dedicated bindings for different BLE devices, unless all you want to use is their RSSI.

Regards,
Kai

Martin Naughton

May 14, 2014, 6:41:04 AM5/14/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
From the BLE wiki BLE is not compatible with with blue tooth classic which is bluetooth 3.

Checked Bluez website and they support some of the BLE profiles but not all

Bluecove would have to be updated aswell to support these new profiles. Here is the list it supports already.

This is my high level overview of the work.

Martin Naughton

May 14, 2014, 7:16:35 AM5/14/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
Sorry in my last profile it was wrong to say profile. The link below shows the list of protocols supported by bluecove. It says profiles in the link aswell which is wrong. RFCOMM is a protocol not a profile!

Martin Naughton

May 14, 2014, 9:24:35 AM5/14/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
For BLE every thing is GATT (Generic Attribute) based. GATT uses server and client architecture which all the profiles based on it use. GATT uses the ATT  (Attribute Protocol). Every thing before that was using RFCOMM.

New GATT stuff seems simpler. I think it might take a bit of work to implement in bluecove.

Subramaniam Appadodharana

Sep 16, 2014, 7:55:05 AM9/16/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
Hi All,

Anyone working on adding BLE binding (generic) like Kai mentioned earlier. I am interested in having BLE binding support. Not must of a BL/Java programmer but I will start looking at it now.

BR
Subbu

Martin Naughton

Nov 24, 2014, 11:02:24 AM11/24/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
Hello Subbu,
                  Any luck with your findings?

Martin

Andre Dieball

Feb 8, 2015, 10:59:28 AM2/8/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com, martin.o...@gmail.com
Hi Martin

I was able to follow your guidance in the wiki up to the point of rebuilding the binding where I'm not completely lost.

Any chance of a helping hand here? I'm more a "user" than a "developer"

thanks

Andre