Funding: Any great events to meet angel investors?

Kyle Malinda-White

Mar 10, 2018, 7:53:00 AM3/10/18
to OpenFrog
Hi all, it's great to be part of this amazing community! My name is Kyle, and I'm the co-founder of Prout: a meetup and support app to help LGBTQs find their local community through mutual interests, groups and events - all in a safe and private space.

I've recently come back from five months in Taipei where we were part of Founder's Institute. I'd love to get connected with the scene here and meet new people as well as potential investors keen in exploring the economic muscle of the LGBTQ+ community. Are there any great events that are held in Singapore where I can go and meet some of you, or are there any groups or organisations I should be keeping a close eye on?

Thank you very much!

drllau

Mar 10, 2018, 1:47:02 PM3/10/18
to OpenFrog
I think investors are pretty much color blind when it comes down to betting on the jockey (team) rather than horse (technology) or racecourse (market segment). Just for your sanity, I'd note that professional investors usually have very specific selection criteria and checklists, in particular separating out scalable businesses (which have accelerating returns) from lifestyle entrepreneurs (which tend to be service-oriented). I notice there is a need for community managers, people who can actively build a startup ecosystem so if you think there is a demand in your target segment, you might be breaking new ground. In particular given the high cost of property in Singapore, coming up with affordable startup hostels or hackpacker spaces might be an overlooked niche in Singapore. The nature of work is changing and if you can identify and tap into an emerging trend, you can do quite well for yourself.

Good luck in your endeavours ...
Lawrence