Landing Page Refinement. Or Overhaul. You Be The Judge.

Janice

Apr 20, 2015, 10:02:53 AM4/20/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Just a fun side project to hone our entrepreneurial chops. You aren't our target group, but y'all know landing pages. And given such, I'd like your blazingly insightful feedback.

Questions I'd like answered:

First impression of landing page.
First impression of follow up email (feel free to unsubscribe immediately upon receipt).
What did you love?
What did you hate?
What could we tweak to love?

Like all teases, we're trying to find that perfect balance between giving away too much and too little. How did we do?

And finally, what the hell do you think we're offering?

I'm game for any feedback that doesn't fall under any of the above umbrellas.

Without further ado:

Irish Delos Santos

Apr 21, 2015, 12:19:21 AM4/21/15
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hi Janice,

Here's my honest review of http://www.happyendin.gs/:

1. Use an eye-catching color and fonts - your landing page should catch people's attention.

2. Provide more information - give your visitors more information about what they're signing up for.

3. Update the CTA - I would suggest changing the colors. The color doesn't have to exactly match the color of your logo, a variation of it will be just fine. Also, I recommend changing the "email me" button text to something that applies more to the page. Maybe something like "Send me some great tips!"

P.S. I've subscribed to your follow up email. That being said, please improve / change the social media buttons.

Hope it helps :)

Cheers,

Irish

Janice

Apr 21, 2015, 5:46:44 AM4/21/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Irish! I appreciate the feedback. One question. . .you mentioned changing the social media buttons. What's the issue that needs to be addressed?

Irish Delos Santos

Apr 22, 2015, 12:18:47 AM4/22/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hey Janice,

It's my pleasure :)

As for your social media buttons / widgets, please make it eye-catching because it looks unrecognizable. Perhaps you could change the colors or entire design.

Cheers,

Irish Delos Santos
Community Manager | JFDI.Asia

JFDI Discover offers a quick and painless guided exercise in answering the question that angel investors, accelerators and even government agencies ask.

Join us now at: JFDI.asia/discover

Cai Gengyang

Apr 25, 2015, 2:11:41 PM4/25/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Happy Endings ... hmm, is that what I think it means ? lol

Janice

Apr 25, 2015, 7:16:07 PM4/25/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
(Laughing!) If you're lucky. Did you have a chance to look at the site? What did you think?

Janice

Apr 25, 2015, 7:17:28 PM4/25/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I'll admit that I don't understand how our social media buttons look unrecognizable, but I'll solicit more feedback from others to see if I can score more details. Thanks for the response.

Cai Gengyang

Apr 26, 2015, 5:25:20 AM4/26/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janice,

Questions I'd like answered:

First impression of landing page --- Looks great to me
First impression of follow up email (feel free to unsubscribe immediately upon receipt) --- I typed in my email address, but didn't get a followup email reply in my inbox. Is it working ?
What did you love? --- I loved the clean and well-designed look of the page , it looks quite elegant ...
What did you hate? --- Cant' say I hate anything about it
What could we tweak to love? --- Add a customer service / box on the side where you can call up customer service or chat with your potential date online. If you want to expand your market, add a section for gay / lesbian / bi dating

Like all teases, we're trying to find that perfect balance between giving away too much and too little. How did we do? --- Pretty good, I like the look of the site

And finally, what the hell do you think we're offering? --- A great dating experience

I'm game for any feedback that doesn't fall under any of the above umbrellas  ---

PAUL GRAHAM of Combinator fame wrote a piece on how current dating websites suck, if you can solve this problem, you are going to get really really rich , I have attached the quote from his essay here : Dating. Current dating sites are not the last word. Better ones will appear. But anyone who wants to start a dating startup has to answer two questions: in addition to the usual question about how you're going to approach dating differently, you have to answer the even more important question of how to overcome the huge chicken and egg problem every dating site faces. A site like Reddit is interesting when there are only 20 users. But no one wants to use a dating site with only 20 users—which of course becomes a self-perpetuating problem. So if you want to do a dating startup, don't focus on the novel take on dating that you're going to offer. That's the easy half. Focus on novel ways to get around the chicken and egg problem.

I'm not sure what kind of system your dating website uses but my own solution to this problem is to create an app on your website that automatically invites everyone in your social circle (your friends and family on Facebook, Twitter and Gmail Account) to register an account for free and to also invite their friends and family to join the site for free and add in a caveat that they can unsubscribe at any time. If it were me, I would also add a system where individuals on the site can report spam / block people they don't like and also a points system where they can recommend a person who has behaved well in previous dating encounters. So if you are a nice and pleasant person, other people will recommend you and you get more points on the dating site, which would make you automatically more desirable as others on the dating site can see that you have been recommended by other users on the site. If you are mean and abusive during dating sessions, others can report you to put demerit points on your profile or in extreme cases, even remove you from the site. Intuitively, it seems like a possible solution to the "Chicken and Egg" problem , since creating such a system would create a wave of increasing number of users on your website that will over time automatically spawn more dedicated users. Its a scalable concept too, you could test the system in one country, then expand it to other countries and tweak it according to local customs / culture. For example, from my observations Americans tend to be more extroverted when dating ... Asians much more conservative ... its actually a really cool experiment and I would love to explore this concept with your team if they are keen. I am currently learning to program computers so i can work for / join a startup , so  I have my own personal reasons for pursuing this too since what programmers/ programmers to be like myself enjoy is the chance to work on interesting and novel software ideas

Thanks a lot !
Cai GengYang

Janice

Apr 26, 2015, 6:08:00 AM4/26/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
First of all, you're awesome. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It's very much appreciated.

Re follow up email. It's a bit. . .kinky. Would you mind checking your spam filters. If it's there, I'll need to tone down the language. Do let me know.

Re PG reference. Again, awesome. Thanks for providing. We certainly don't mimic real world flirting. But potential matches could write their own version of real world flirting. In the end, our concept is something that can only be executed in the age of social platforms and can't be done in the real world. I hope that's seen as a unique value proposition.

Still to PG's point, I agree it's important to consider how potential matches catch each other's (virtual) eye. And to make certain that first flirtatious "whiff" can be digitally smelled. I think we've created a compelling virtual "whiff", but I'll save that question for another day.

Re chicken and egg. This is something to which I've given considerable thought. And my answer? (Smiling) Dragon Con.

I hold a different viewpoint. I don't think leveraging social circles is sufficient. Especially given that dating site options (and niches) are now profuse. Also, I believe that potential users have not only caught on to the entrepreneurial "traction" game, but are wary of it. They're now reluctant to let entrepreneurs use their social circles for our benefit. I think the answer lies in converting one community at a time. Twitter had its SXSW. Facebook had its Harvard. Tinder had its USC (and a large wallet). We have our Dragon Con.

We're currently a two member team. (Smiling) And, if you haven't gathered by our venture, we're always up for exploration. Let's discuss more Off the Frog. But do let me know if the email is in your spambox.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cai Gengyang

Apr 26, 2015, 5:02:23 PM4/26/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janice,

Thanks alot for the reply !

Re Follow Up Email : Yup I got it , it seems fine to me ... I guess your worry is that it might seem too kinky. But I have seen almost everything there is to be seen on the internet so nothing that really shocks me anymore. Maybe I am not the best person personally to answer this question , but it looks fine to me

Re PG reference : Great ! Sounds very interesting and I would love to learn more in detail about the concept

Re Chicken and Egg : DragonCon as in the North American multi genre convention ? I guess your intention is to build your user base from attendees at DragonCon ? Seems like a good place to start

I hold a different viewpoint. I don't think leveraging social circles is sufficient. Especially given that dating site options (and niches) are now profuse. Also, I believe that potential users have not only caught on to the entrepreneurial "traction" game, but are wary of it. They're now reluctant to let entrepreneurs use their social circles for our benefit. I think the answer lies in converting one community at a time. Twitter had its SXSW. Facebook had its Harvard. Tinder had its USC (and a large wallet). We have our Dragon Con. : Great ! It would be a great start to building that online community you so desire. Probably it would be best to do both, leverage on social circles plus DragonCon and other events.

We're currently a two member team. (Smiling) And, if you haven't gathered by our venture, we're always up for exploration. Let's discuss more Off the Frog. But do let me know if the email is in your spambox. : Sure!  Shall we have a web chat or Skype conversation sometime convenient ? But first I have to declare my current personal situation : I attended Northwestern University in the United States from about 2004 to 2011 as a foreign student, but did really poorly and dropped out of school 3 times. The last time I reapplied back about 3 years ago , I got my visa denied. I am currently learning to program computers on my own and my personal goal at the moment is to get hired as a software developer by a company , so if you are looking for programmers to help you we would be a good fit for each other. God knows how online dating will evolve in our lifetimes , I predict new forms of software and hardware integrated systems where customers can chat with each other in realtime over the internet before meeting in real life. I never had a good online dating experience, so I can see the potential to disrupt this field and if you play this right, you might be on to something really BIG !

Thanks again for the feedback! --- No Problem !

Let me know your thoughts !
Cai GengYang

Paul Graham --- Make Something People Want (still the best piece of advice I have come across)

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM, Janice <janice...@mac.com> wrote:
First of all, your awesome. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It's very much appreciated.

On Monday, 20 April 2015 22:02:53 UTC+8, Janice wrote:
Just a fun side project to hone our entrepreneurial chops. You aren't our target group, but y'all know landing pages. And given such, I'd like your blazingly insightful feedback.

Questions I'd like answered:

First impression of landing page.
First impression of follow up email (feel free to unsubscribe immediately upon receipt).
What did you love?
What did you hate?
What could we tweak to love?

Like all teases, we're trying to find that perfect balance between giving away too much and too little. How did we do?

And finally, what the hell do you think we're offering?

330.gif

Cai Gengyang

Apr 26, 2015, 5:06:45 PM4/26/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janice,

Thanks alot for the reply !

Re Follow Up Email : Yup I got it , it seems fine to me ... I guess your worry is that it might seem too kinky. Personally it looks fine to me.

[...]

We're currently a two member team. (Smiling) And, if you haven't gathered by our venture, we're always up for exploration. Let's discuss more Off the Frog. But do let me know if the email is in your spambox. : Sure!  Shall we have a web chat or Skype conversation sometime convenient ? But first I have to declare my current personal situation : I attended Northwestern University in the United States from about 2004 to 2011 as a foreign student, but did really poorly and dropped out of school 3 times. The last time I reapplied back about 3 years ago , I got my visa denied. I am currently learning to program computers on my own and my personal goal at the moment is to get hired as a software developer by a company , so if you are looking for programmers to help you we would be a good fit for each other. God knows how online dating will evolve in our lifetimes , I predict new forms of software and hardware integrated systems where customers can chat with each other in realtime over the internet before meeting in real life. I never had a good online dating experience, so I can see the potential to disrupt this field and if you play this right, you might be on to something really BIG and I would love to get involved !

[...]

Irish Delos Santos

Apr 26, 2015, 9:19:58 PM4/26/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
No worries Janice :)

The dice is in your court for you to decide.

I wish you all the best of luck in your business, I know you'll be great :)

Leo

May 6, 2015, 10:30:54 PM5/6/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janice,

I love the name happy endings but it might sound too kinky to others as it has another meaning lol

I think the fonts are not eye-catching enough. Other than that everything else seems fine to me.