STARTUP SEARCH: Targeting low income communities in SEA

Sila Isik

Mar 1, 2017, 8:51:15 AM3/1/17
to OpenFrog
Hello everyone,

I’m working with startups from all around the world, and connect them to businesses that are looking for innovative solutions to have an impact on global scale. Currently I'm working on a project in SEA, and trying to find startups in the region who are specifically targeting low income communities, and which will bring them access to products and services.

I specifically liked Ruma in Indonesia: http://ruma.co.id/index.html

Now, trying to find similar ones in other countries (Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam).
Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Thank you,

SILA

drllau

Mar 2, 2017, 8:44:02 AM3/2/17
to OpenFrog
the fundamental problem with tackling bottom of pyramid is that they don't have a lot of discretionary spending power. Hence only the basics of food, shelter, heat (or cooling in tropics) are the bulk of products/services which are dominated by incumbants (its a distribution problem) and startups have challenges. However, there are still opportunities

a) mobile phone mean that financial services are more easy to distribute if you can solve the trust and security headaches ... I think there was an Indonesian startup which was encouraging easy savings
b) search costs are dropping ... in china there are plenty of group bargaining chatrooms ... I don't think these have spread but mass ordering could tap into social media in SE asia as well
c) lack of affordable health care ... big space open to disruption as govt services ... well, suck, I met someone from India who was trying to do something here but that was a year ago so I'd have to look at my notes.

Oh ... also check out global village construction set ... most remote communities are still rural based so services around providing productivity capital equipment might be worthwhile looking into (esp financing side)

Lawrence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drllau

drllau

Apr 6, 2017, 9:21:12 PM4/6/17
to OpenFrog
A headup on anyone in FinTech tacking bottom of pyramid segment wanting to enter a beauty-contest

For the third consecutive year, we are looking for the world’s most impactful and sustainable financial services provider that puts “clients at the centre” of its thinking and operations for the benefit of poor people in developing countries

The Prize consists of a US$150,000 award to expand or reinforce client-centric practices within the winning organisation.
In 2016, the competition’s top three finalists presented their proposals to leading industry professionals at The MasterCard Foundation Symposium on Financial Inclusion, held in Kigali, Rwanda. Last year’s winner of the Prize, decided by the Symposium attendees, was the remittance transfer company Hello Paisa. The 2015 edition of the Symposium and the Prize took place in Cape Town, South Africa. Then, micro-insurance firm BIMA mobile was awarded top honours.
This year, the top five applicants will be invited to attend The MasterCard Foundation Symposium in Accra, Ghana on November 8-9, 2017.  The top three finalists will present in their client-centric practices to the audience, which will decide who wins the Prize.