Apps for the Elderly

Hugh Mason

May 2, 2015, 4:56:55 PM5/2/15
to open...@googlegroups.com

Roland Turner

May 2, 2015, 10:04:59 PM5/2/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
You might want to check out Silverline Mobile, based in Singapore (although presumably your Dad isn't).

- Roland

Meng WONG

May 3, 2015, 1:39:53 AM5/3/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
To come at this from a different direction for a moment, Ellen Langer might suggest that the best apps for the elderly may be non-apps, or simulations of old tech:

I have observed that professional computer scientists, who have been using computers since the 1980s, are incredibly productive using a software stack that has not changed essentially for decades: Unix, the shell, emacs/vim. Even python, one of today's darlings, is almost a quarter-century old.

George R.R. Martin wrote, and still writes, Game of Thrones on an MS DOS box running Wordstar.

So, combine Moore's law with Clarke's law, and what do you get?

Ontology recapitulates phylogeny; technology recapitulates skeuomorpology.

So, instead of giving him an Android tablet, with a new interface to learn, why not retrofit a "family" channel into his existing TV?

hrou...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 9:21:10 PM6/9/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hugh,

My previous startup was all about engaging senior citizens in nursing homes (B2B approach). The startup is based in the US.

I have spent 6 years in the industry. Would be glad to share my insights on the market!

worldd...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2015, 11:13:58 PM6/14/15
to open...@googlegroups.com, hrou...@gmail.com
LinkedSenior looks like a nice product. I have a part-time business, MusicalConversations, where I use music to engage seniors in conversation.

Alan

Meng WONG

Jun 29, 2015, 4:57:03 AM6/29/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
reviving this thread,

will be happening as part of the big sg hackathon, weekend of july 25/26.