Welcome back!

Tobias Eriksson

Nov 19, 2013, 2:00:34 AM11/19/13
to openem...@googlegroups.com
If you're reading this, then you're probably aware of the excellent OpenEmulator and that, unfortunately, Marc (the original developer) has abandoned the project.

Earlier this year, I took the source code for OpenEmulator and put in on Github, lest it would disappear and the project be lost. My plan was, and still is, to at some capacity continue the development of OE with the focus on porting the existing code to Linux and Windows. Progress has for various reasons been slow, but as it is now the emulation libraries compile on Linux. I no longer have access to a Mac, so I really want OE to work on other platforms.

I'm hoping we can get the community back, and continue the project together. The project is currently hosted at Github, and will likely remain there:

/T

Rev. Devon Gladden

Jul 17, 2014, 7:41:27 PM7/17/14
to openem...@googlegroups.com
I want to thank you and all involved in making Open Emulator, it has reawakened my fascination with the Apple II.
I wish that there would be to crowd fund further developments to this, something ala Kickstarter or Patreon. I for one
would be willing to donate to such a project, especially to see some kind of modem emulation take place similar to how
VirtualBox operates.

Tobias Eriksson

Jul 18, 2014, 4:46:22 AM7/18/14
to openem...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your kind words!

Unfortunately, nothing much have happened since the move to Github. I don't own a working Mac anymore, and some of the libraries used in OE are not simple to get working on Windows.

I haven't considered crowdfunding at all. MSR used to accept Paypal donations, but as we haven't really progressed any it doesn't feel right.

But please, stick around. I have some big ideas for the future of OpenEmulator, but I need to write some prototype code first before I feel ready to present it.