The Latest News from OpenElections

Open Elections Team

May 21, 2017, 9:02:30 PM5/21/17
to openelections

Hello, OpenElections folks!

Here's a partial list of what we've done since the beginning of the year:

* Processed 2016 general election data for Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Arizona, New Mexico, Delaware and California.
* Completed precinct-level data conversion for 2015 general election for all 82 Mississippi counties
* Extended our Oregon precinct-level data back to 2008 (for all but 2 counties)
* Produced precinct-level results for 2016 election for all but one New York county (we're still working on it!)
* Obtained original results PDFs for 2016 general for all Indiana counties & started converting them to data
* Converted precinct-level results from 2014 general election for all 105 Kansas counties (and 60 counties for 2016 so far)

We're at work on many states, and we always can use your help. If you can do data entry, convert PDFs to text or even kick in a few bucks to help us pay for copies of election results from counties and states, email us at openel...@gmail.com.

You can follow our progress on Github, where we have many active repositories: https://github.com/openelections

We'd like to highlight the work in the openelections-data-or and openelections-data-ny repositories. In Oregon, one of our volunteers, Nick, not only got involved in obtaining older results files and converting them to CSV, he also wrote scripts to verify the results of that conversion work that helped find small mistakes in other parts of the repository. Nick's work serves as a model for other repositories, too. In New York, multiple volunteers pitched in to convert PDF and Excel files to CSV for all but one county in the state for the 2016 general election. We got that work done in a matter of weeks, not months, because you rock.

We're thinking about ways that people can support our work financially, and are considering a crowd-sourcing option. We'd love to hear thoughts about that from you. A quick way to donate to OpenElections is through our fiscal agent, Investigative Reporters and Editors: http://safedonate.us/4IRE

Where it says "Donate to a specific fund" just write "OpenElections" and you'll be helping us gather election results and make them publicly available as data.

Thanks for your support of our work!

Derek and Serdar