OpenElections Update: Dec. 31, 2017

Open Elections Team

Dec 31, 2017, 5:48:33 PM12/31/17
to openelections
Nearly Happy New Year!

We'd like to give you a quick update on our efforts as 2018 approaches. Thanks to the efforts of volunteers like you, we've made a lot of progress in 2017:

2016 General election precinct results: We have completed 48 states and are missing 1 county from West Virginia and 14 from Texas to finish a nationwide set of precinct-level results from president through state legislature. We're really excited to have gotten this far and can't wait to finish the job.

Backfilling: In a number of states we've got complete precinct-level results for general elections back to 2000. The latest is Massachusetts. We'll also be working on primary elections for these states, too. Right now we're working on 2014 general election results for states with significant 2018 elections, and you can help with those.

Obtaining original source documents: We continue to expand our efforts, working with academics and others, to find and store original election results documents. You can see those files in our openelections-sources-{state} repositories on Github (https://github.com/openelections). Some states we're concentrating on include New York, New Jersey, Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia, Connecticut and Maine.

Our goal for 2018 is to have as complete a set of election results as possible to help reporters, researchers and anyone do useful things that help explain our election process. As always, thank you for your help and support. We'll be at the 2018 NICAR conference in Chicago in March, where we'll have our annual workshop that you can join if you're in town.

Thank you,
Derek Willis
Serdar Tumgoren