Open Data Manchester October 20th - Special Event

Julian Tait

Oct 1, 2014, 4:11:27 AM10/1/14
to opendatam...@googlegroups.com
On October 20th Open Data Manchester will be running an afternoon workshop instead of its usual evening meet up.

The event entitled Open : Data : Cooperation seeks to create a framework for the creation of data cooperatives. This is part of an ongoing piece of work looking at data ownership, data rights and the creation of organisations that can host data that is both open and closed in a democratic and accountable way.

20th October 2014, 1pm – 5.30pm

The Shed,
MMU John Dalton Building
Chester Street
Manchester
M1 5GD – Detailed directions here

An afternoon of scene setting and workshops creating a framework for building data cooperatives. This event is for anyone working in this area and is a must for people who are interested in new forms of cooperative structure, open data, data custodianship and data rights.

The event follows on from previous sessions run in Manchester and Berlin. It is open and free to participate.

Why create a data cooperative?

Our modern, technologised society exists on data. Our everyday interactions leave a trace that is often invisible and unknown to us. The services that we interact with, the daily transactions that we make and the way we negotiate through our everyday generate data, building a picture of who we are and what we do. This data also enables aggregators to predict, personalise and intervene seamlessly and sometimes invisibly. Even for the most technically literate, keeping track of what we do and don’t give away is daunting. There is a need to stem the unbridled exploitation of personal data by both public and private organisations, to empower individuals to have more control over the data they create, and for people to have more of a say in the services that are built upon and informed by this data. Data cooperatives may help rebalance the relationship between those that create data and those that seek to exploit it whilst also creating the environment for fair and consensual exchange.

A synopsis of the discussion that took in Berlin can be found here

Sign up on the Eventbrite page here

An agenda will be circulated nearer the event date