Geeks for social change meetup 26th Aug @ Hulme

Kim Foale

Aug 7, 2015, 10:25:56 AM8/7/15
to Open Data Manchester
Heya all, I mentioned this in the last meeting! Basically I'm trying to set up a group who's motivation is politically oriented rather than tech. Thought it would be interesting to see what happens when we start from a "what real life problem do we want to solve" perspective rather than a "how can i use X tech to further my aims" perspective. Would love to see some of you there and I'm sure opendata will be a big part of what we do.

Blurb below.

Thanks!

Kim

-------------------

A new social group for people who want to try and make the world better using technology.

- Technology could mean, but is not limited to: software and web coding, physical computing and 3d printing, git, dropbox, google docs, markdown and other collaborative tools, graphic design, management theory.
- Geeks are people who like learning, sharing and making things. They can be young, old, of many races and genders, LGBT+, of various abilities and having lots of skillsets. They are also of all levels of technical skill from seasoned veterans to people who want to learn.
- Making the world a better place is a hard, complex, multifaceted thing to do: the group will have a focus on measurable social change, be that qualitative (from creating a piece of software to meet a social need to getting something in the newspaper), or quantitative (data analysis, quality of life metrics)

In our inaugural meeting, Kim will introduce the group and what they hope to achieve with it, and present a few ideas. I propose to then have an "open projector" style event where people can talk about themselves, what causes and technologies they're interested in, and we can make a few decisions about the group management and future meetings.

The group might:

- Be a place to bounce ideas off other people and talk about our pet projects, without the implicit commercial bias that other tech groups tend to offer.
- Be a place for learning, sharing and mentoring: where everyone can share what they know and find people to work with.
- Be a place that activist or social change groups who need technical help can come: a design/web collective that can provide free web or tech services to new people. Through this, enable people to become freelance developers.
- Develop software that fills the gaps left by commercial offerings.
- In the long run, form a loose agency for social change advocacy, providing solutions for all budgets including zero!

I imagine the first meeting will be quite low-key, but feel free to invite friends and family who you think might be interested!

Event will hopefully be at Birley Fields campus, but waiting to get room booking confirmation. If not will probably be at either Kim by the Sea or the Zion centre. If anyone has any tips let me know.

Marcus Baw

Aug 10, 2015, 1:04:14 PM8/10/15
to Open Data Manchester
Hi Kim,

I really like this idea but I'm unable to make the 26th August.
Will you be setting up some kind of group so I can hear about the next one (eg a Meetup group, Google group)?

Marcus

Kim Foale

Aug 10, 2015, 1:06:06 PM8/10/15
to opendatam...@googlegroups.com
Yeah! Was gonna at least have one meeting to see where people go with
it but will doubtless set up a Google group or somesuch. I'll send you
an invite when its done.

Thanks for the interest!
> --
>
> ---

Dr Kim Foale

- Latest blog: "From Civilisation to Pax Porfiriana: how I learned to
stop worrying and accept colonialism",
http://www.alliscalm.net/articles/pax-porfiriana
- Latest project: "Elephants in the dark", an experimental film about
noise and expectation.
http://www.alliscalm.net/articles/elephants-in-the-dark

Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.

Tom Jenkins

Aug 10, 2015, 1:43:23 PM8/10/15
to opendatam...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kim,
Sounds great. I do a lot of web and app dev for Wildlife organisations (IUCN, Maldives Whale Shark Research etc) - some of it funded and some of it pro bono. I'm always unsure when people say "social change" as to whether that includes wildlife conservation. In short, should I come to your meeting? :)

Tom

--

---

Kim Foale

Aug 10, 2015, 1:49:27 PM8/10/15
to opendatam...@googlegroups.com
Yeah! I think the main reason I wanted a group is that generally my
experience of tech groups is everyone says who they are and what they
do in the first five mins then never refers to it again :) Then
there's usually some reference to "well X isn't always the solution".
Thought it would be interesting to try it the other way: start from a
problem (conservation/campaigning/equality) and spend a bit more time
identifying problems. We have tons of tools it feels like, sometimes
the thing we need already exists we just need to join it up.

See you there I hope :)