Still looking for help/direction getting an Open Data Catalogue online

Steve Nelson

Sep 18, 2012, 3:37:57 PM9/18/12
to opendataca...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,
It's been a few weeks now since I started looking into Open Data Catalogs - I'm still stumped as to how a small town such as ours can leverage the knowledge here in getting a cloud instance of a data catalog online.

I realize this is Code for America - and I'm in Canada, but I would love to know if there are any preconfigured or 'pre installed' cloud based data catalogs available where I can start an Azure or EC2 instance, and just have a catalog ready for populating?

Without the knowledge of a DB administrator I'm finding it really difficult to get started (), and just wanted to throw this post up on the board for any others out there struggling with the same....

Any links or suggestions on how or where I might find a ready-to-go catalog that I can call my own?  I suppose if we had some dollars available we could just pay for a Socrata site?

Sincerely
Steve Nelson
GIS Coordinator
Town of Banff, Alberta, Canada

Kevin Curry

Sep 18, 2012, 3:40:07 PM9/18/12
to opendataca...@googlegroups.com, bri...@codeforamerica.org
Hi Steve, this isn't a Code for America forum. This is the forum for Azavea's open data product. I've copied our main forum for Brigade to cast a wider net.
--
Kevin Curry
Program Director

Robert Cheetham

Sep 18, 2012, 5:19:25 PM9/18/12
to opendataca...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

If Open-Data-Catalog is daunting, in addition to Socrata, you might consider CKAN, developed by Open Knowledge. They have a hosted product as well as also being open source.   http://ckan.org/

Best,

Robert

------------------
Robert Cheetham

Azavea  |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
chee...@azavea.com  | T 215.701.7713  | F 215.925.2663
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  |  Twitter @rcheetham  and @azavea

Jason Lally

Sep 18, 2012, 9:43:17 PM9/18/12
to opendataca...@googlegroups.com
OpenColorado has an existing instance installed on Amazon.

You can grab code including PHP and .NET wrappers for the CKAN API at OC's GitHub account:

Best,
Jason
--
Jason Lally
Director, Decision Lab

Chase Southard

Sep 18, 2012, 9:51:45 PM9/18/12
to opendataca...@googlegroups.com
Lexington flirted with all of them but settled on CKAN.

Chase
--
R. Chase Southard
http://about.me/southard

Bill Baran

Oct 11, 2012, 1:54:35 AM10/11/12
to opendataca...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm working on setting up ODC for Idaho.
I found the webfactional.com has reasonable hosting (~$8-9/mos US) for python, django, and postgres - the requirements of ODC.
There are many ways to deploy a python web app. Webfactional takes the route where each app has its own apache config and django root and it's run via mod_wsgi.

I've never done anything with django or even python so it's been a bit of a learning curve.
I'm still finalizing my config but can probably provide you with some assistance if you decide to go that route.

Bill Baran
OpenDataIdaho.Org