how to update attributes?

Sean Beeg

Feb 9, 2015, 11:41:00 AM2/9/15
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Crowbar Version: 2.0
Operating System: Centos 6.5
Workload (with verson):?

Hi all!
I have been working to adapt opencrowbar to an existing bare metal environment in a lab. Some of the things I've done to get it to work are:
  • modify the bind config to work with our DNS
  • modify the Bus Interfaces on startup (install) to detect our hardware <I could not figure out how to modify once crowbar is installed>

So far I've figured out how to get it to discover our hardware and PXE boot the sledgehammer image (yay!)  but am dying on deployment during ipmi-configure. My deduction is that the ipmi hardware on this particular box (which is actually a blade in an enclosure) needs a different set of auth info and such. Specifically Ipmi-username, Ipmi-password, Ipmi-use-dhcp and so on.  I've been trying to learn how to modify those values for that particular hardware.  we'll have multiple hardware types with different ipmi configs so i'll need to be flexible here.  basically I've tried stuff like:
crowbar nodes set 2 attrib ipmi-username to '{"value": "quaark"}'
with the output result of:
attrib ipmi-username is read-only
so, how exactly do we change values for discovered nodes?  oh and by the way, I've tried to wipe out the node using something like "crowbar node destroy <node>" with the idea of maybe adding it manually but I am getting yelled at with errors like:
"message": "ERROR:  update or delete on table \"node_roles\" violates foreign key constraint \"child_fk\" on table \"node_role_attrib_links\"\nDETAIL:  Key (id)=(24) is still referenced from table \"node_role_attrib_links\".\n"

Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated.

Sean Beeg

Feb 9, 2015, 1:36:26 PM2/9/15
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Short update:
Attrib hint-bmc-v4addr is read-only also fails for a node that is newly created.  I can pass that parameter along when I create the node, for example:

sean_node='
{ "name": "sean.blam.company.com",
  "admin": false,
  "alive": false,
   "hint-bmc-v4addr": "10.1.2.3",
  "bootenv": "local"
}'
crowbar nodes create "$sean_node"

{
  "id": 4,
  "name": "sean.blam.company.com",
  "alias": "sean",
  "description": null,
  "order": 10000,
  "admin": false,
  "target_role_id": null,
  "deployment_id": 1,
  "discovery": {
  },
  "hint": {
  },
  "allocated": false,
  "alive": false,
  "available": false,
  "bootenv": "local",
  "created_at": "2015-02-09T18:08:55.254Z",
  "updated_at": "2015-02-09T18:08:55.254Z",
  "quirks": [
  ]
}
And of course, that attribute isn't showing up in the node properties... I take it that read-only attributes are ignored if they are set during a node create?
Finally - and this is a weird deal - our OOB network is a different subnet from where the opencrowbar host is.  In fact the crowbar host will not be even on that VLAN since that VLAN is managed by a different team and is trunked through separate switches.  (this is not uncommon in big shops like mine). Perhaps I am confused (and that's nothing new!).

Rob Hirschfeld

Feb 9, 2015, 1:43:29 PM2/9/15
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

Some of the items that you are working on are being discussed/updated on the develop branch (Camshaft).  Some of the specific items that you raised have been fixed there too.  I was just working there this weekend on some tweaks to ensure you can pre-populate node details.

If you want to set attributes, you should bind the "crowbar-managed-role" and then commit the node.  I just did a pull that does something similar: https://github.com/opencrowbar/core/pull/441.  There are only a few that you can add on node create, the rest have to be targeted to individual node roles.

Your networking design is pretty common and Crowbar can handle that.  I'd leave that for Greg to explain.

It may help if you break the questions into individual threads.

Rob

Rob
____________________________
Rob Hirschfeld, 512-773-7522
RackN CEO/Founder (r...@rackn.com)

I am in CENTRAL (-6) time
http://robhirschfeld.com
twitter: @zehicle, github: cloudedge & ravolt

Sean Beeg

Feb 9, 2015, 2:11:16 PM2/9/15
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

I deeply appreciate your response, and, thanks very much for the explanation and encouragement.  I'll play around with binding the "crowbar-managed-role" role to the node, and let's see how that goes.

Regarding the threads, hopefully no one is upset! Basically I just put that stuff there for history on my little mad science lab experiment!. :)  In my online travels I did see the open issues and noticed that bind forwarding is one of them.   If anyone would like details on how I got around that for my environment just ask and they're yours!

Warmest Regards,

-Sean

Rob Hirschfeld

Feb 9, 2015, 3:16:11 PM2/9/15
to openc...@googlegroups.com
We're not upset at all - I love to see the questions.

I just want to make sure that the good ones at the bottom are not missed.