Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

William Hayes

ungelesen,
30.10.2015, 15:00:3730.10.15
an openbel-discuss
Hi all,

We need to codify the OpenBEL code contributions protocol.

Here is what I'm proposing:
  • Provide code submissions/fixes as pull requests (PR's) associated with a Github repository issue
  • Squash commits prior to submission
  • Contributor needs to have a signed CLA (individual or corporate)

Submitting the PR against an issue provides an opportunity to share your plans to work on an issue and have it assigned to you and get feedback on a proposed enhancement to increase the likelihood of a successful PR.  I don't think we should require this, but it's best practice in my mind.

There are some interesting projects to track CLA's, e.g. cla-bot, cla-enforcer, clahub.com, cla-assistant.io

We can modify the Apache Individual and Corporate CLA’s for OpenBEL.  Any recommendations on how to manage CLA’s – track them in a github repo or via one of the CLA tools?  I'd prefer something that doesn't require me to administer :) and doesn't slow down PR's which pretty much requires automation or an easy way to submit/confirm CLA's by the repo manager accepting the PR.  Has anyone seen a process/protocol for this that they liked?

Thoughts, suggestions, changes?  Hoping to have the first version of this policy deployed by this Wednesday.

Enjoy your weekend!

William

Anthony Bargnesi

ungelesen,
30.10.2015, 16:25:3130.10.15
an openbel-discuss

William,

Thanks for this outline. This looks great.

I would remove the squash commit guideline. Multiple commits may be used in a logical way by the contributor that allows for a better discussion on the PR. If the commit history is messy then the opened PR is a great chance to discuss why a squash would be appropriate.

Also, overall, I would prefer to see less barriers to contribution.

CLA integration might make a lot of sense in the long run, but for now we can obtain and track manually. The contributor experience of clihub.com does look simple though.

We should also provide a central contributors documentation for OpenBEL as a whole. This could be hosted on openbel.github.io.

- tony