Re: OpenBEL Status Update

Julia.K...@thomsonreuters.com

Aug 15, 2016, 11:56:32 AM8/15/16
to openbel...@googlegroups.com, marina.be...@thomsonreuters.com, Manfred....@sanofi.com, keith.e...@transmartfoundation.org
Dear All,

As members of the OpenBEL community start getting back after the Summer break, we would like to continue the conversation around the next steps for BEL.

In particular, it would be good to review
  • the level of interest and engagement from the current community,
  • the ideas for governance and steering going forward,
  • potential funding/resourcing sources for further development,
  • feedback on the latest release, and priorities for future development,
  • any ongoing development and hosting efforts
We would like to organize an online/phone meeting in the early or middle part of September, to kick off these discussions.  The previous group meetings were on Tuesdays, 10am EST – would something like this work for everyone, around Sept 9th or Sept 16th?

Please let me know if you are interested in participating in these discussion, if you have suggestions for the agenda and/or anything you would like to present.  Also, please suggest additional participants for the meeting.

Thank you!

Sincere regards,

Julia

Julia Kozlovsky

Senior Project Manager

Technology Development

IP & Science

Thomson Reuters

O +1 617 856 2800  x 1686

julia.k...@thomsonreuters.com

From: Tony Bargnesi <abar...@openbel.org>
Date: Monday, July 25, 2016 at 6:52 AM
To: openbel-discuss <openbel...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Status update

Hi all,

I want to give an update to the community of my status with OpenBEL. I left Selventa, on July 5th, where I was working on OpenBEL full-time. My role was to lead development of the OpenBEL platform. Details were discussed in the July 12th weekly coordination meeting. The OpenBEL community and technology are close to my heart and I am looking to continue developing and participating in a part-time, open-source capacity.

Nick Bargnesi and Kelly McCann, at Selventa, are continuing to improve the BEL 2.0 implementation across the OpenBEL platform (e.g. BEL Manager, OpenBEL API, bel.rb, bel_parser). It is imperative that these projects continue to develop to provide value to the community. At its core the community needs the tools to represent and leverage BEL nanopubs.

OpenBEL is in need of more voices to participate in the development and direction of OpenBEL. Every open-source community benefits from a diverse community with different ideas. OpenBEL's future will be stronger as a result.

Thanks,

Tony Bargnesi
OpenBEL
Please note that my email has changed to abargnesi (at) openbel (dot) org.