Compiler failure

Erfan Younesi

Aug 12, 2014, 7:08:58 AM8/12/14
to openbel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

I have a BEL document from Selventa (provided as the test file), which means it is well-curated and error-free, but when I try to visualize it through the BEL editor in Cytoscape (by KAM Navigator) I get the following compilation error:

"BEL Compiler failure (1): General failure"

What could be the reason and what do you advise to resolve this?

 Thank you in advance,

Erfan

-------------------
Erfan Younesi, PhD
Fraunhofer SCAI
 Germany

Anthony Bargnesi

Aug 12, 2014, 7:47:22 AM8/12/14
to openbel...@googlegroups.com
Erfan,

The error message "BEL Compiler failure (1): General failure" is likely caused by incorrect command-line arguments to the BEL Compiler. The BEL editor is no longer maintained so these errors are possible.

The editor drives the BEL Compiler using a build script, named visualize.xml, that can be found in the temp directory for your platform. For unix platforms this will most likely be /tmp though you might want to check the TMPDIR environment variable (e.g. echo $TMPDIR).  On windows platforms the temporary directory will most likely be C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp though you might check temp environment variable (e.g. echo %temp%).

The visualize.xml build script should list the ordered command-line arguments to the BEL Compiler. Try to reproduce the KAM build from the command-line using these arguments and turn on verbose output ( -v ). The output should give you a better idea of the problem.

Thanks!

Anthony Bargnesi

Nick Bargnesi

Aug 12, 2014, 8:40:39 AM8/12/14
to openbel...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the BEL Editor README to note the project's maintenance state. BEL Editor builds will continue as normal and we are definitely open to pull requests.