Right BEL statements

Afroza Irin

Apr 21, 2015, 8:56:07 AM4/21/15
to openbel...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Could you please help me ,how can I represent following statements into BEL script-

1. "Induction of CYP2E1 generated ROS"
2. "Inhibition of DNA methylation activated SNCA expression"

So far I understand here in both cases I have only relation and object term. If subject is not available how to express that?

Thanks in advance .
Bests,
Afroza Irin

Natalie Catlett

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00:56 AM4/21/15
to openbel...@googlegroups.com

Hi Afroza,

I am making a few guesses based on limited information, but this should give you a general idea.

1.       p(HGNC:CYP2E1) -> a(CHEBI:”reactive oxygen species”)

2.       bp(GOBP:”DNA methylation”) -| r(HGNC:SNCA)

In case #1, CYP2E1 induction leads to the production of ROS, so CYP2E1 is the subject, increases is the relationship, and ROS is the object.

In case #2, the biological process DNA methylation is the subject and SNCA the object. Because inhibition of the subject leads to an increase in the object, the relationship is flipped to decreases.

Best,

Natalie

Message has been deleted

Natalie Catlett

Apr 22, 2015, 7:36:46 AM4/22/15
to openbel...@googlegroups.com

Hi Afroza,

Unfortunately, BEL does not currently handle representation of methylated regions of DNA. This is something we hope to address in a future language update. Until that time, you may consider representing the downstream effects of hypomethylation (e.g., changes in RNA expression). Note that in your example, this would likely be a correlation (rather than a causal increase/decrease) between the disease and the effect of CYP2E1 hypomethylation.

Best,

Natalie