Wrong examples in BEL 2.0 specification

Christian Ebeling

May 26, 2018, 4:56:44 AM5/26/18
to openbel-discuss
Dear BEL-user,

the history of the keyword "Evidence" in BEL specification seems to me the following:

Evidence -> SupportingText -> Support

in BEL 2.0 specification there is a clear statement at the beginning of the document here:

BEL Script Evidence Annotation renamed to Support

Very confusing for me is, that in the whole document no correct example is given.

for example here "SupportingText" instead of "Support"  :

SET SupportingText = "Here, we ...

Even in the example of the specification for "Support" a wrong example with "Supporting" is used:

Support (previously known as Supporting Text)

Support annotations provide the specific text that the statement is derived from. Text should come directly from the abstract or full text of the source referenced by the citation annotation. For example, a support line from the Reactome pathway cited above is:

SET Supporting = "The p53 protein activates the transcription of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, p21.
p21 inactivates the CyclinE:Cdk2 complexes, and prevent entry of the cell into S phase, leading to G1 arrest."
and there is still an old example of the "Evidence" in the Specification

SET Evidence = "After PIP3 binding, Akt1 is activated"

Please correct these confusing examples. But please don't change the rule because this is part of the specification BEL 2.0 even if the examples are wrong. If you want to change again the rule back to SupportingText then specify a new BEL version number with a new document.

Many thanks in advance

Best regards
Christian

William Hayes

May 27, 2018, 7:30:09 AM5/27/18
to openbel-discuss
Thanks for pointing that out.  I've fixed the specification.

Please feel free to submit a Pull Request with changes like this.  It's pretty easy to do from the Github web editor.  https://github.com/openbel/language/version_2.0/bel_specification_version_2.0.adoc though it is quite appreciated if you go ahead and do a regular pull request and update the html docs using the script indicated in the README.

Anselmo Di Fabio

May 27, 2018, 7:57:41 AM5/27/18
to openbel-discuss
As William mentioned, simple things like this are easy to adjust in the documentation directly. It saves people from doing the work you already discovered and easy to verify via a pull request.

Thank you for your effort.