Today's Community Call: Taxonomy Discussion

Kerri Lemoie

Sep 16, 2015, 9:15:41 AM9/16/15
to openb...@googlegroups.com, openbad...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

During today’s community call I’m leading a discussion on taxonomy for Open Badges with a goal towards developing a community shared taxonomy extension (or extensions) . This is isn’t a technical presentation or really a presentation at all but rather an input and discussion session at a big picture level with those of you who are interested in how taxonomy can benefit your programs as well as the Open Badges and Digital Credentials ecosystem.

Some questions we’ll start with today:

- What is a taxonomy? The difference between taxonomy and tags.
- How will taxonomies benefit your systems and the ecosystem at large?
- Do you use a taxonomy system? Do you use tags? How do you determine your classification system: user submitted, a taxonomy you created, an existing taxonomy, perhaps an institutional one?
- What are some types of taxonomies that would be useful? age level, grade level, learning objectives, content based (i.e. Technology, English, Art…)
- What existing taxonomies and schemas can we leverage or lean on as examples of good implementation?
- Are there any other initiatives working towards this already?

Nate will be sending around the link to the call etherpad shortly. Please bring your voices, opinions and expertise.

For those of you who can’t make the call today, there will be a full-hour meeting scheduled in the next coming weeks that will address some of the above as well. At your convenience please check off the times that you are available in this survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BUIS2anGI41pBHkNTJmoY6nvVYHURYMhbfZW5NvG__A/viewform

Submissions will be counted EOD 9/21 and the meeting will be scheduled based on responses.

Also, today’s call should be recorded and the etherpad will be public.

Looking forward to digging into this with you. It’s my opinion that this is a long-time coming. A shared taxonomy system is a powerful step to data collection, connect-abilty, and the finding and consuming of Open Badges.

Thanks,

Kerri

Kerri Lemoie

Sep 19, 2015, 7:21:27 AM9/19/15
to openb...@googlegroups.com, openbad...@googlegroups.com
We had a great discussion on Wednesday re: taxonomy.

Here's the etherpad: http://bit.ly/CC15-Sept16

I aim to have a blog post that distills it early this week.

If you would like to join us at our next discussion, check off times that you are available here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BUIS2anGI41pBHkNTJmoY6nvVYHURYMhbfZW5NvG__A/viewform

Also, I came across this paper and thought it may interest you:

"Evolution of Deep Learning Models" http://www.opendatascience.com/blog/evolution-of-deep-learning-models/

Kerri Lemoie

Sep 22, 2015, 7:02:29 AM9/22/15
to openb...@googlegroups.com, openbad...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Based on responses it looks like this Thursday 9/24 at 11 am ET is the time that works for most so let's plan for that.

I'll see if I can borrow an etherpad and the uberconf line from the Badge Alliance. Will send those out once it's set up.

Thanks!

Kerri

Kerri Lemoie

Sep 23, 2015, 10:56:06 AM9/23/15
to OpenBadges, openbad...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Here's the pad for tomorrow's call (11 am ET):

http://etherpad.badgealliance.org/taxonomy-wg

Dial in:
Optional dial in number: 207-645-1621 (no PIN required)

Thanks to the Badge Alliance for lending their pad and line.

Kerri

Kerri Lemoie

Sep 23, 2015, 9:24:51 PM9/23/15
to OpenBadges, openbad...@googlegroups.com
Short blog post on the start of our discussion:

Looking forward to our call tomorrow.