OBI ideas

Szabó Nagy Attila

Jul 27, 2015, 4:24:00 PM7/27/15
to Open Badges Dev Group
Dear DEVS and WG!

After joining the discussion conference I was thinking about how to keep simplicity and keep the whole OBI up to date and I tried to get to the core and build it up from there. So the main idea was: what is absolutely essential, that should be kept? - and everything else should become an extension. So I came up with this idea:

Assertion:
  @context
  type
  id: uid or json-ld link
  issued on
  (extension.assertion
    verify
    evidence
    expires
  )

  recipient:
    identity
    hashed
    salt
    (extension.recipient)

  badgeclass:
    @context
    type
    id: name OR json-ld link
    description
    image
    creator.badgeclass - not issuer
      @context
      type
      id: link to org website OR json-ld link
      (extension.creator:
        name
        url - is this needed?
        description
        image
        email
        revocation list
        nomination list***
      )
    (extension.badgeclass:
      criteria
      tags
      alignment
    )
  issuer:
    @context
    type
    id - can be creator.badgeclass or nominated
    nominated:
      @context
      type
      id: link to org website OR json-ld link
      nominated_by: can be creator.badge or another nominated who is nominated to nominate :-) - the end link of the nomination chain should be cretator.badge
      (extension.nominate:
        name
        url - is this needed?
        description
        image
        email
        revocation list
        nomination list
      )

***
nomination list looks something like this:
org: id or something - nominated to issue: boolean - nominated to nominate: boolean.

So a very basic core assertion would look like this:

Assertion:
  @context
  type
  id: uid
  issued on

  recipient:
    identity
    hashed
    salt

  badgeclass:
    @context
    type
    id: name
    description
    image
    creator.badge - not issuer
      @context
      type
      id: link to org website

  issuer:
    @context
    type
    id: - creator.badge

this is only a draft... the main idea is that the core should be possible to be baked into the badge image and the badgecheck and badge should work even if there are no json files hosted.
of course the quality of a badge like that it is not the highest one, but for some cases - or for many cases it should be enough for those who want to start working with badges at a very basic level.

I don't know if this is possible, or if it makes sense. I hope I could contribute with the ideas.

Thanks for taking it into account.

Nate Otto

Jul 29, 2015, 1:16:45 PM7/29/15
to Open Badges Dev Group, szna...@gmail.com, szna...@gmail.com, ba-st...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting, Attila. This kind of thinking is what we need as we contemplate where to go from 1.1 to the next version (likely 2.0). Adding the BA-standard mailing list to the discussion (you should join that one too if you haven't already).

I'll reply with some recent thinking I've been doing along the same lines when I get a chance in the next day or two.

Nate Otto
Interim Director, Badge Alliance