Trying To Get Help With Thunderbird - Needing To Download Yahoo Webmail

Todd White

Jan 31, 2017, 10:35:33 PM1/31/17
to Open Badges Dev Group
Hello,

I hope I am in the right place and not intruding.

I have been using Yahoo's webmail for some time, and have sorted my emails over the years into various folders.

I want to go back to Thunderbird, for many reasons, one of them being I want to have all of my emails (sent & received) on my computer, not Yahoo's. To that end, I have established a new IMAP profile in Thunderbird and attempted to download my emails in their respective folders. It appears that, instead, the IMAP profile in Thunderbird mirrors and manipulates the folders and emails in my Yahoo webmail account, rather than downloading them to my computer.

Questions:

1. Is this correct - does the IMAP profile in Thunderbird merely mirror and manipulate the emails on the Yahoo server?

2. If so, how do I go about actually downloading my folders and their respective emails to my computer and access them with Thunderbird?

3. Should I have set up a POP3 profile instead, and, if so, will that type of profile actually download all of my folder and emails?

Again, if this isn't where I should be asking this, please forgive the intrusion, and, if you can, direct me to the right place for the answers I need.

Thanks!

- Todd

Jeff Bohrer

Feb 1, 2017, 3:04:42 PM2/1/17
to Open Badges Dev Group
Todd, FYI this is the group related to Open Badges, not Thunderbird.