Badgekit all set up... but I need a bit of direction

Roy Marquez

Jul 13, 2015, 11:43:37 AM7/13/15
to openbad...@googlegroups.com
All,

I managed to follow the Self-hosting guide to install badgekit. I have created several badges using the web app and everything looks good. But I'm a little bit stuck and don't know how to proceed. I am hoping that you guys can help me out.

So I read the documentation on awarding badges and some of it is above my head as I have not programmed in quite some time. Here is what I was hoping to do:

Right now, our participants do work on an LMS.  We would review the work and then award the badges. I know that under the "Action" pull down menu on a badge it can be awarded via email. I was thinking that may be my easy way out until we could build the earner-facing site or something else.

In my mind, I sort of oversimplified how this would work. So my questions is, can I do what I want? And if so, what would be the easiest way to do this? I was hoping to find a document like the self-hosting guide that I can follow and try it.

If not, what would be an alternative? We have a site on WordPress that can be used as an earner-facing site. Any tips would be appreciated, especially if you have done this already?

Cheers,

Roy

devendra...@ebizontek.com

Jul 16, 2015, 12:59:45 AM7/16/15
to openbad...@googlegroups.com
I understand that you wish to award badges on your LMS or an earner-facing site. Is it correct?
And, also which LMS is used by your participants and have you decided the basis on which you will award the badges.
will try to help once you answer these queries.

Regards,

Devendra

Roy Marquez

Jul 16, 2015, 12:11:01 PM7/16/15
to openbad...@googlegroups.com
Devendra,

Thank your for taking the time to reply. At this time, I am not overly  concerned with the LMS even though the participants do the work on our LMS,

At this point, this is how our workflow looks like:

1- Participants do work on LMS
2- I go in and manually check work
3- If work is complete, I would like to issue a badge via email

And that is where I'm a bit lost. I'm more concerned with:

1- What do I need to do in order to get so that I can issue them a badge via email (I don't think I'm getting the whole picture here)
2- What do I need to do on our WordPress site in order for them to be able to display their earned badges?
3- Anything I need to do on my end so that they can use Backpack to store their badges (in case they leave the institution)?

Thank you (and anyone else) that can chime in and provide input.

Cheers,

Roy

devendra...@ebizontek.com

Jul 21, 2015, 10:33:55 AM7/21/15
to openbad...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roy,

Here are the answers to your queries:

1. You cannot issue a badge directly via email. First step is to create the badge through badgekit and it will be sent to students via email. Each badge has set of information encoded in it which cannot be done on your email. For this you need to install badgekit and its api.

2. On your wordpress site, you can show the badge for each student by uploading the badge image manually. This can be automated by directly using badgekit api and here is the link where you can get more information on how to use badgekit api - https://github.com/mozilla/badgekit-api/wiki/Using-BadgeKit-API

3. No, I don't think so. The badge will be baked by your badgekit and only thing that student need to do is move this badge to backpack. This may require an additional step which I need to check.

Regards,

Devendra