Massachusetts and SeeClickFix

Adam Friedman

Dec 22, 2012, 9:25:02 AM12/22/12
to open_gov_boston

351 simultaneous "local adoptions"... not too shabby!

Dec 22, 2012, 9:51:19 AM12/22/12
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
SeeClickFix has been in use in Boston for a little while: http://seeclickfix.com/boston

My main worry is that this will further disadvantage poorer areas that might have already had problems getting governments to pay attention to their infrastructure problems.  Not everyone has smart phones.  (Although this does have a web-based app, although that's less convenient.)  It would be nice if they had a plain SMS/text based interface.  Or at least integrated it well with other methods of reporting like phone calls.

(I do think this is great for the areas that get to use it!  I just worry that that will not be all areas.)

I'm also curious about how open this info will end up being.  Looking at the Boston site, all the reports made are publicly listed, but most are "resolved" by a govt' representative posted with a case number.  So it would be difficult to find out how many cases actually get fixed.

I may do some investigating after the holidays, to see if the backend to SeeClickFix can be made more open.

And I think I'm also going to do an analysis of where the Boston reports have been made from, and whether it's disproportionately been adapted in richer, younger areas as I suspect it has.

Folks who want to help me do either should let me know.  :)

Kamal Jain

Dec 22, 2012, 10:14:24 AM12/22/12
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Lowell has had it for a little while, too, and I know that the neighborhood associations—or at least some of them, including mine—have been telling people about SeeClickFix.

It's great that there is more adoption, but Shauna is right that there is a chance to exclude some folks, and in the end, we need solid metrics and reporting to see how many issues are reported, of what nature, and what's truly getting fixed and how quickly.  (and also how efficiently)

Still, it's definitely a move in the right direction!

Kamal

M. Page-Lieberman

May 14, 2013, 10:09:38 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Following up on an old thread...

@Adam, @Shauna, @Kamal, any news on SeeClickFix?

Peace,
Matthew

Kamal Jain

May 14, 2013, 10:14:42 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Matthew,

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.  We have SeeClickFix in Lowell, and people are using it.  There is a lot of passive resistance to outside tools and help unless deemed risk-free both in terms of execution/adoption risk, and in terms of "will this erode my fiefdom?" risk.

As one of the city councilors remarked to me recently when I complained that I and numerous others with strong tech and/or business backgrounds would love to help the city for free: "It's a lot easier to control people who are on the payroll."

Kamal

M. Page-Lieberman

May 14, 2013, 10:20:57 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
That's horrible and not surprising.  What's sad is that I've heard it's just as bad at non-profits.  I've been working on an app and have recently considered offering it to some local govts and educational orgs for free (most likely, minus any long-term support).  It's wicked sad to encounter the obstinateness of the bureaucracy and these fiefdoms.

M. Page-Lieberman

May 14, 2013, 10:22:55 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Kamal, is it your impression that this attitude of local government at Lowell is different than what would be encountered in the Boston-Cambridge-Somerville area?

Kamal Jain

May 14, 2013, 10:43:46 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Yep.

In this case, the councilor wasn't saying it proudly, but as commentary on our city manager - people seem to either love him or hate him with little room in the middle other than "huh?" from the many who just don't know and/or care.

Behavior tends to be the same across any organization above a certain size.  I just care a lot less about most corporations than I do government because I can generally choose which businesses get my money and have direct influence over my life.  And, I happen to love the city I live in and care about the community.  I don't much care what happens in businesses unless I work there or they can directly influence me in some way.

My city government directly impacts me every day whether I want it to or not - so I want to make it better.  Sure there is some higher purpose to wanting to help, but it's largely self-interest.  (enlightened or otherwise)

Kamal

Kamal Jain

May 14, 2013, 10:51:16 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Matthew,

On the whole I don't think there is much difference between Lowell and Boston/Cambridge/Somerville other than local political dynamics. Various municipalities have their strengths and weaknesses compared to one another.  The more Boston-centric cities with large clusters of younger folks (it's a generalism) tend to embrace things like SeeClickFix and fellowships from Code for America, etc. more than places like Lowell that have older and/or less plugged-in citizens.  Being a gateway city [for immigrants] also changes the foundational dynamics in ways that take precedence.  It's a spin on Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Kamal

M. Page-Lieberman

May 14, 2013, 11:00:25 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  I live in Medford, and while we've got mad youth living there attending Tufts, it's still somewhat regressive.  One of our city councilors fought against a United Nations-sponsored advanced placement academic program 1-2 years ago because of the alleged threat of losing American sovereignty and respect for democracy...

Kamal Jain

May 14, 2013, 11:11:50 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
Full disclosure and possible twist: I am a huge proponent of and advocate for transparency and civic engagement, and American sovereignty.

A lot of my friends all over the political spectrum have a hard time figuring me out.

:-)

M. Page-Lieberman

May 14, 2013, 11:44:46 PM5/14/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
From what little you've shared here, I'm not confused by what might appear to be some contradictions or political inconsistencies,  What I would have a problem figuring out, however, is how American sovereignty is in any form in jeopardy.

Kamal Jain

May 15, 2013, 7:56:31 AM5/15/13
to open_go...@googlegroups.com
American sovereignty wasn't an at-risk item with regard to transparency and civic engagement (the stuff this thread is about); it was more the thought that support of those things is not inconsistent with those concerned about UN involvement and its potential impact upon American sovereignty.

The linkage isn't between the two meta-topics, it's within the latter.

Regarding the latter, the mechanics of where the risk comes from are generally under the category of "with strings attached."  I've had many a semi-private and "off-the-record" conversation with school administrators, teachers and others who recognize that the monies their school systems receive from state and federal agencies often come with strings attached in the form of unfunded or inadequately-funded mandates, but no one has the political will to say that after many years...the experiment was a failure and was causing more long-term harm to local school systems and communities rather than helping on the whole.

But you know what?  That really is a separate topic that doesn't belong in here, so I'll leave it at that.

I firmly believe that many systemic woes facing us are the direct and indirect result of a loss of civic engagement in the many specietal institutions around us, and that rather than trying to fix symptoms, we should work on fixing the root cause.  I believe in data, the wisdom of crowds.  To steal from Churchill:

"The truth is incontrovertible.  Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

And that is why I take great pleasure in ignoring party lines and useless "left vs. right" comparatives to work with whomever wants to understand and fix problems and make the world around them a better place.  Sadly, too many on "both sides" think the other is opposed to exactly that because of disagreements in solutions rather than recognizing common ground in acknowledgement of problems.  I.e. many people refuse to recognize a shared view of a problem because they don't share a common view of how it should be fixed, and there is no room for diversity and experimentation, which were once hallmarks of America.

Peace out,
Kamal