Closing open-tran.eu

Jacek Śliwerski

Dec 1, 2013, 4:04:36 PM12/1/13
to Open-Tran
After almost 7 years of operation, open-tran.eu will be shut down on January 31, 2014.

I haven't had enough time to maintain the service and I decided to stop paying for the hosting.

All of the source code and contents of the page will still be available at http://code.google.com/p/open-tran/

Thank you to all who supported this project!
Jacek Śliwerski

dwa...@translate.org.za

Dec 1, 2013, 7:45:49 PM12/1/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Jacek,

Thank you for providing this really useful service over all these years.

For Pootle we wrote our own TM server for various reasons, more info at http://amagama.translatehouse.org/

This is loaded with all the large Open Source projects and we have a public server at e.g. http://amagama.locamotion.org/tmserver/

This is used by default by Virtaal and Pootle users, and probably some others.  The only problem is that we don't have a UI for someone doing web queries like you would do on open-tran.eu

If someone would like to help add a nice UI to amagama that would be really helpful.

Dashamir Hoxha

Dec 2, 2013, 12:20:12 AM12/2/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Similar functionality can be provided by B-Translator
(http://info.btranslator.org/)
For example see this: https://l10n.org.al/translations/search
There is also a discussion group about its development:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/btranslator

Yaron Shahrabani

Dec 2, 2013, 2:07:38 AM12/2/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Very sad indeed.
I wish you the best luck and hope that someday it would be worthwhile to push and serve this project yet again ☺
Kind regards,

Yaron Shahrabani
<Hebrew translator>

Dimitris Glezos

Dec 2, 2013, 1:43:08 AM12/2/13
to open...@googlegroups.com

It seems that the issues were around maintenance and hosting of the service, not the software itself..

-d
--
Dimitris Glezos
Founder & CEO, Transifex

Leandro Regueiro

Dec 2, 2013, 4:14:11 AM12/2/13
to Lista de correo do open-Tran
Hi

Jacek, thanks a lot for keeping this amazing service during all these
years. We will miss it.

Bye

rsta...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2014, 6:39:40 PM2/17/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
open-tran was the best of its kind. All the alternatives are completely rubbish. Thank you for providing it, and thank you for making the source/content available.

ixa...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2014, 4:29:36 AM2/22/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Jacek,

Thank you so much. It's been really useful and helpful. I miss it very much already.

xoxo.

ve4e...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2014, 4:23:22 AM9/14/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I may be able to recreate Open-tran on my own expenses, but I need access to its code and database to do so. If you're interested, please reply to this message! :)

Dashamir Hoxha

Sep 28, 2014, 6:51:23 AM9/28/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
If you can afford to spend some money, you can also consider
installing B-Translator: http://info.btranslator.org/
You have full access to the code and everything, and I may also
be willing to support you. It is not exactly the same as Open-tran
but it certainly has some similarities with it.

Alternatively, you can also support its current installation
(at https://btranslator.org and https://l10n.org.al/translations).
Currently only the translations of French and Albanian are imported,
but there is no reason why not to support other languages as well.

Thanks,
Dashamir

Sah War

Sep 28, 2014, 8:27:14 AM9/28/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Installing a new instance of http://info.btranslator.org/ on a server that I'll pay the hosting for, sounds like a good idea. I might just do that. :)
Thanks for you suggestion! :) I'll be sure to ask question about that on this group page, if you don't mind.

—sahwar <ve4e...@gmail.com>

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Open-Tran.eu" group.

Dashamir Hoxha

Sep 28, 2014, 2:59:20 PM9/28/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
This sounds great! :)
Let us know how it goes.

Dashamir

Dashamir Hoxha

Oct 21, 2014, 3:09:01 AM10/21/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi sahwar,

How it is going? Did you try anything yet?
There is already a new release of B-Translator,
based on Docker, and maybe you should try this one.
For more details see: http://info.btranslator.org/install.html

Also, I'd like to add support on my server for a few more
languages, besides Albanian. If you are interested
let me know. You will basically have to manage a Drupal
application (that I will install for your language), and you
can also have shell access, if you want.

Regards,
Dashamir

Sah War

Oct 21, 2014, 5:32:09 AM10/21/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for asking.

Well, I still haven't found the free time to install B-Translator on my domain, http://open-tm.bulogos.info, but I will get around to doing so in the days/weeks? ahead.

I'll also install Pylyglot there (https://omaciel.github.io/translations/life/2014/07/12/end-of-pylyglot.html).

Yes, I'd like you to add as many languages as you can to your server. I'll provide a link to your project inside my project when I launch it.
I don't know anything about ssh and shell access, so I can't really tell if I'll need that, but I suppose that it's probably good to have.

Regards,
sahwar <ve4e...@gmail.com>, http://sahwar.wordpress.com

Dashamir Hoxha

Oct 21, 2014, 6:12:18 AM10/21/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Without some basic shell skills you cannot install it yourself.
Maybe you should find somebody to help you with it.

Also, I can install for you a site like this: https://bg.btranslator.org
which is similar to https://l10n.org.al, but still you will need
some basic Drupal skills to customize it for Bulgarian (or find
somebody to help you with it).

Regards,
Dashamir

Sah War

Oct 21, 2014, 6:13:09 AM10/21/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Apart from B-Translator, I'll also install a Pootle installation, a Pylyglot installation and an AmaGama installation:

http://pootle.translatehouse.org/
https://github.com/omaciel/pylyglot
https://amagama-live.translatehouse.org/ (information: http://amagama.translatehouse.org/)

However, I'm still wainting for a promised email from the author of Pylyglot about how to install it. I also find the installation instructions of B-Translator to be very confusing, since I don't know if my hosting provider provides the kind of inside tweaking of the hosting server that the installation seems to require... If you can provide me with more detailed installation instructions, that will be awesome! Thanks for taking the time to read this and to respond to it! :)

Dashamir Hoxha

Oct 21, 2014, 10:07:14 AM10/21/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
No, there are no other instructions, it cannot be made simpler than that.
I offered to provide hosting for you, for free, but it seems that you cannot
handle that either.
I am sorry, there is nothing that I can do for you.

Dashamir

Sah War

Oct 21, 2014, 11:14:07 AM10/21/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
But I did agree to https://bg.btranslator.org and I do have some basic Drupal skills...

Dashamir Hoxha

Oct 21, 2014, 11:53:36 AM10/21/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Sah War <ve4e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I did agree to https://bg.btranslator.org and I do have some basic
> Drupal skills...

OK, maybe I have missed it.
I am going to install https://bg.btranslator.org very soon, and I will let you
know the admin password. I will also send you a private key to ssh into
the box, it is up to you to use it or not.

jsb...@mimuw.edu.pl

Aug 16, 2019, 7:34:33 AM8/16/19
to Open-Tran.eu

W dniu niedziela, 1 grudnia 2013 22:04:36 UTC+1 użytkownik Jacek Śliwerski napisał:
After almost 7 years of operation, open-tran.eu will be shut down on January 31, 2014.
All of the source code and contents of the page will still be available at http://code.google.com/p/open-tran/

I was a very nice and useful service...

I understand the code should be still accessible, but I get

There was an error getting resource 'downloads':

401: Anonymous caller does not have storage.objects.get access to google-code-archive/v2/code.google.com/open-tran/downloads-page-1.json.

and

 svn checkout http://open-tran.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ open-tran-read-only
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'http://open-tran.googlecode.com/svn/trunk'
svn: E160013: '/svn/trunk' path not found

So, is the code still available somewhere?

Regards

Janusz S. Bień

Sah War

Aug 16, 2019, 8:01:22 AM8/16/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
'So, is the code still available somewhere?'

I would also like to find out if the code and/or database(s) of open-tran.eu is still available for downloading/use (even if the database is paid).

Sincerely,

Jacek Śliwerski

Aug 16, 2019, 4:21:31 PM8/16/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
I'll see if I have a local copy on my computer after I come back home on Sunday.

Jacek

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open-Tran.eu" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-tran/CAEps0eSK4s20ESt5pf%3DQv6dnsQe9qA6wVxOofLiXTbwaszHGDg%40mail.gmail.com.

Jacek Śliwerski

Aug 24, 2019, 9:12:28 AM8/24/19
to Open-Tran
It turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought, but all the source code has now been imported to GitHub and you can clone it from https://github.com/sliwers/open-tran

It seems that I have lost the old databases, but I could try to recreate them.

If you have good ideas where I could find cheap hosting, maybe I could try restore the service in its full functionality...

Anyway, this gives at least some starting point. If folks are interested in collaborating on bringing it back up, please let me know.

Cheers!
Jacek

Sah War

Aug 24, 2019, 3:24:26 PM8/24/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

Thanks a lot for bringing the code back into public existence!

As far as 'cheap hosting' is concerned, I can recommend several Bulgarian web-hosting companies (icn.bg, superhosting.bg, siteground.bg, ns1.bg ), but due to legal reasons, I recommend web-hosting in countries where the 'copyright' and 'computer piracy'&'database rights' laws are way more liberal, some services like free.fr and other places seem to supposedly be more liberal in that regard but laws change all the time and so one must adapt to such changes... Ireland, the Netherlands, Russia, France, some other places, supposedly offer better (more liberal) laws in terms of copyright & web-hosting but I don't know if the laws & terms&conditions have changed since last time that I checked...

Only ibiblio.org and a few other places seems to possibly offer nice free web-hosting for open-source projects...

P.S. Having the backend&frontend code on github.com and the databases files - is a great way for anyone to bring this very useful localization-focused website back online at any time. Make sure to include yourself in the CREDITS section as you have put lots of efforts into open-tran.eu. Thanks again for the awesome help!

Sincerely,

Janusz S. Bień

Aug 25, 2019, 12:49:03 PM8/25/19
to Jacek Śliwerski, Open-Tran
On Sat, Aug 24 2019 at 15:12 +02, Jacek Śliwerski wrote:
> It turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought, but all the source code has now been imported to GitHub and you can clone it from
> https://github.com/sliwers/open-tran

Great!

What about mentioning in README that it used to be available at
open-tran.eu?

Best regards

Janusz

--
,
Janusz S. Bien

Jacek Śliwerski

Aug 25, 2019, 4:32:34 PM8/25/19
to jsb...@mimuw.edu.pl, Open-Tran
I don't think restoring the service is likely. It used to consist of the following components:

1. Set of scripts automating download of translations from various software repos, extracting them out of different types of file formats and storing in an SQL database.
2. A REST service which exposed a query API for looking up a phrase.
3. A website, which allowed searching via that API.

I tried running the scripts today and it didn't work for even a single project. XFCE would be easiest to fix, because they were already using git in early 2010s and they are still using it today. But nobody uses CVS or Subversion anymore and the repo URLs have changed.

Furthermore, I wouldn't build the REST service like this anymore. These days, I would upload all phrases into a rolling index on an ElasticSearch cluster. It would provide superior performance and more accurate search results.

The sad reality is that the costs of running this service (managing persistence back end, monitoring, support, engaging with community, etc) are too high for someone who has a full time job and kids.

Jacek

Janusz S. Bień

Aug 26, 2019, 2:19:14 AM8/26/19
On Sun, Aug 25 2019 at 22:32 +02, Jacek Śliwerski wrote:
> I don't think restoring the service is likely. It used to consist of the following components:

[...]

It's a pity that restoring it is not straightforward.

> The sad reality is that the costs of running this service (managing
> persistence back end, monitoring, support, engaging with community,
> etc) are too high for someone who has a full time job and kids.

I always thought it is a task for an institution or
organization. Documenting the purpose and the history of the service may
help to find one willing to restore it.

Dashamir Hoxha

Aug 26, 2019, 8:09:55 AM8/26/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 8:19 AM Janusz S. Bień <jsb...@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 25 2019 at 22:32 +02, Jacek Śliwerski wrote:
> I don't think restoring the service is likely. It used to consist of the following components:

[...]

It's a pity that restoring it is not straightforward.

> The sad reality is that the costs of running this service (managing
> persistence back end, monitoring, support, engaging with community,
> etc) are too high for someone who has a full time job and kids.

I always thought it is a task for an institution or
organization. Documenting the purpose and the history of the service may
help to find one willing to restore it.

There is a similar service here: https://btranslator.net/translations/search
I was inspired by open-tran (about 10 years ago) but my goals were a bit different.
Now I don't even remember exactly how open-tran used to work, so I am not sure whether this service does something similar to it or completely different.

It also has an API:

However this service too has been stale and outdated for some years. I am not aware of anybody using it and I am keeping it running out of inertia (maybe it will be closed after a couple of years). It is built on Drupal7, which is approaching the end of life soon, and I could never find time and willingness to upgrade it to Drupal8 (which is quite different from Drupal7).

The scripts I use to download the translations are here:
In case somebody is willing to restore open-tran, they may help him to find where the translations of some projects are located.

Regards,
Dashamir