Application to GSoC

Selwyn Jacob

Apr 3, 2012, 9:48:22 AM4/3/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm Selwyn Jacob doing my under-graduation in Computer Science from GITAM University, India. I went through the GSoC ideas page and found 'Port to Android' very interesting. I have little knowledge about stage lights controlling as I play in a band. I have good programming experience and contributed to several open source projects like Melange, Scikits etc. You can take a look at some of my projects on github [1]. I know I am a little late in getting here but I'm willing and very eager to learn and contribute to this project.

Thanks and regards,
Selwyn Jacob

Selwyn Jacob

Apr 3, 2012, 10:09:12 AM4/3/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Sorry, I forgot to provide my github url, and here it is - https://github.com/selwyn

Simon Newton

Apr 3, 2012, 10:28:54 AM4/3/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Selwyn Jacob <selwyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry, I forgot to provide my github url, and here it is
> - https://github.com/selwyn

Hi Selwyn,

Please use the http://www.google-melange.com/ page to apply. I'm happy
to look over your application and give you early feedback if you like.

The Android port project is fairly ambitious. Do you have experience
working with Android?

Simon

> Thanks and regards,
> Selwyn Jacob
>

> --
> open-l...@googlegroups.com /
> http://groups.google.com/group/open-lighting

Selwyn Jacob

Apr 3, 2012, 11:08:10 AM4/3/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello Simon,

I know it's a bit ambitious but I can give my best shot at it and I've worked on a couple of small projects with android, though not big ones. And can you point me to any issues that I can work on so that I can get familiar with the code base? And any pointers from where the porting should be started from?

Simon Newton

Apr 3, 2012, 11:12:39 AM4/3/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Selwyn Jacob <selwyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> I know it's a bit ambitious but I can give my best shot at it and I've
> worked on a couple of small projects with android, though not big ones. And
> can you point me to any issues that I can work on so that I can get familiar
> with the code base? And any pointers from where the porting should be
> started from?

The code is here:

http://code.google.com/p/linux-lighting/source/browse/

along with the open issues.

There is quite a bit of information at
http://www.opendmx.net/index.php/OLA including this
http://www.opendmx.net/index.php/OLA_developer_info , which describes
some of the code structure.

As for porting, I'd start by writing a small C++ application that
sends a UDP packet. See if you can get that compiled and working on
Android using the NDK.

Simon