This Thursday, In Code We Trust - authorized participation through crowd sourced democracy in the 21st Century

noel hidalgo

Jun 29, 2010, 1:18:37 PM6/29/10
to open-gove...@googlegroups.com
This Thursday, I'm hosting an awesome event with some of NYC's greatest Government 2.0 minds. If you are interested in the future of open government in the NYC metro area, this will be the place to learn all about it. For those of you not in NYC, we'll be posting links to the live stream on both of the following locations...

Re:Group / In Code We Trust - Exploring models of authorized participation through crowd sourced democracy in the 21st Century.

Re:Group: Beyond Models of Consensus, an exhibition which examines models of participation and participation as a model in art and activism. Re:Group proposes that with participation now a dominant paradigm, structuring social interaction, art, activism, the architecture of the city, and the economy, we are all integrated into participatory structures whether we want to be or not. The exhibition showcases work that subverts existing systems or envisions new alternatives to the ways in which individuals can take part, or choose not to take part, in social and cultural life.

"In Code We Trust" is the new motto for Government in the 21st century. Across the country, geeks inside and outside of government are developing a new participatory and transparent Federal, State and Municipal governments. Built upon open-source tools, open standards, and best practices, this panel will highlight authorized actors as they  practical examples of initiatives from private, public and government sectors.

Date: Thursday, 1 July 2010 from 6:30 - 9:30

Format:
6.30 - 7:30 - Happy Hour / Socializing / Viewing of exhibits & installations
7:30 - 7:45 - Introduction to the RE:Group show
7:45 - 8:30 - 6 Lighting presentations (20 slides at 6 mins 40 sec) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecha_Kucha
8:30 - 9:30 - Question and Answers

Hosts:
Noel Hidalgo, New York State Senate
Beka Economopoulos, Not An Alternative

Presenters:
Sarah Kaufman - MTA New York City Transit, Projects Coordinator, Emerging and Intelligent Transportation Systems
Laurel Ruma - Gov2.0 Evangelist for O'Reilly Books
Daniel Latorre - VP of Design at Project for Public Spaces
Phillip Ashlock - Open Government Project Manager at OpenPlans
Ben Berkowitz - Co-Founder of SeeClickFix

Hashtag & Twitter reference:
#InCodeWeTrust and @Eyebeam_Org

--
Noel Hidalgo