Fwd: DOT Looking for Developers

Lou Klepner

Jul 13, 2010, 11:45:36 AM7/13/10
to openn...@meetup.com, open-gove...@googlegroups.com
This just came in from a web programming list -

---

Hello Developers!

The New York City Department of Transportation needs your help! We want
to provide more and more useful information to the traveling public
about traffic and transportation. We know we’ve got a lot of the raw
data, we need you to help us separate the wheat from the chaff.

Here at the DOT we’re plugged into all of the comings and goings of
the city - we’re constantly monitoring highways, ferries, traffic
cameras, bridges and road work. This means that we create a ton of data,
some of which we share publically on our data feeds page. However, most
of our data isn’t currently public.

There are many reasons why you (outside of the walls of government
bureaucracy) will be able to build better apps, at ten times the speed
and efficiency than we will ever be able to. We see our role as opening
up and cleaning up our data to make it easier for you. Together we can
provide the public with the information they hunger for, to make better
decisions about how to move around the City.

To get started on this, we need your help to identify where the hot
spots of demand are, so we can prioritize where direct our efforts to
format and open up data. We also need you to help us start assessing
where the gaps are between the data we have and the data we’d need to
create truly useful “real-time traffic” apps. We’re at the
beginning of this process, and the first step is to have an informal
brainstorming meetup with developers. We’ll talk about some of the
data feeds that we have, and hopefully you’ll come with some questions
we haven’t asked yet.

We’ll be hosting the Brainstorming Meetup at DOT on July 21, 2010
from 9:30 – 11 am.

Invitation is open to anyone who wants to help improve the way DOT
shares information, so pass it on. Space is limited, so please RSVP by
July 15 to nfreeman - at- dot.nyc.gov.

---