Error when transferring .ESX file to SmartMedia

Colby Smith

Jan 15, 2014, 12:46:47 PM1/15/14
to open-elect...@googlegroups.com

When I try to copy an .ESX file saved on my desktop to the SmartMedia card, the computer loses connection with the card halfway through the process saying the card can no longer be found. When I try to save directly from the editor onto the card I get a java exception error. In both cases some of the samples will load and can be loaded onto the Electribe. When I use another format like MS and copy from the desktop, I get no errors at all.

Things I've tried so far
-Reformatting the card on the electribe
-Using a different card
-Using a different computer
-Currently looking through the samples to ensure that they're the proper format/ Bit rate but so far, so good.
-Updating to the latest version of Java

Other Details
-Multi-card reader is brand new and was purchased for this purpose
-Windows 7, 32bit
-files formatted in Audacity as Mono 16bit .wav
-Cards are both 128MB

Any pointers, educated guesses, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

skratchdot.com

Jan 28, 2014, 2:44:15 PM1/28/14
to open-elect...@googlegroups.com
I'm really sorry for the delayed response on this.  I meant to reply to it when I got home from work on the day you posted it.

Anyways, I haven't encountered this issue before- but I never save directly to my SmartMedia card.  I have a folder on my main harddrive that contains .esx files.  I open/save from the program into that folder.  I also transfer all my files from/to SmartMedia from that folder using drag-and-drop from my OS (outside of the Open Electribe Editor program).

One thing- you do need to format the card on the ESX itself.  I've ran into that issue before (but you said you already tried that).

When I get home, I can try to reproduce this.

Do you have the .esx file you are trying to save?

Does it always work when you drag-and-drop from Windows?  Does it only fail when you try to save it to the Smart Media from within the Open Electribe Editor program?

Colby Smith

Apr 7, 2014, 6:15:59 PM4/7/14
to open-elect...@googlegroups.com
When I transfer any type of files from the OS (outside of the editor) to the card I encounter the same problem. It seems that I can only send a small amount of data to the card before the computer loses connection with it, no matter the file type.

 As a workaround I copied a few samples at a time onto the card and then loaded them to the Electribe individually. If I try to copy a larger batch of samples to the card I run into the same issue. I managed to assemble the sample library I wanted but it was very time consuming.

Reading your response leads me to think its an external issue (maybe the card reader?) rather than the editor itself. I'm able to create .esx files just fine. I'm going to start working on the problem again this week and report my results. The silver lining is that I've learned the finer points of using the software and what it can do while debugging the issue. I know it'll be worth the patience if I can get the .esx file to copy over.

Thanks for the reply and the editor!

skratchdot.com

Apr 7, 2014, 7:38:01 PM4/7/14
to open-elect...@googlegroups.com
Hey- do you have a link to the multi-card reader you purchased?  Maybe other people have had similar issues?

I know one of my computers has a built in multi-card reader, and it's kind of finicky.  I have to wiggle the card a bit until it is recognized.

I'm just wondering if you 'losing connection' is due to the way the card is inserted.  Does it have a light to let you know when a connection is good vs bad?