Ruby - Write Once, Run Anywhere

Michal Taszycki

Mar 16, 2014, 4:58:26 PM3/16/14
to opa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've given a talk today at http://wrocloverb.com/ about writing Cross Platform Ruby. I thought it might interest you.

The idea is to use common subset of Ruby supported by RubyMotion and Opal.rb to reuse parts of application on multiple platforms.

Not sure if slides alone will convey the idea but feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Michal Taszycki

@mehowte on twitter

Jared White

May 14, 2014, 5:24:08 PM5/14/14
to opa...@googlegroups.com
Hey Michal,

I thought your slides were great, and it truly illustrates the growing ability for us Ruby debs to be able to write common pieces of functionality that can be reused across multiple platforms. I think the biggest challenge will be to figure out the best way to architect an application not as a "Rails" app, but as an app with a reusable core that can be deployed via Opal, RubyMotion, and web server, along with the individual "expressions" of the app as a Rails app, an iOS app, etc.

Jared

Michal Taszycki

Jun 11, 2014, 7:55:26 AM6/11/14
to opa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree, architecture of the app is most likely the hardest part of writing apps this way. I plan to blog about it soon.

For now I've made an article about writing universal Gems. You may find it helpful http://blog.crossplatformruby.com/universal-ruby-gems-in-20-lines-of-code/