compile suitable for plv8?

guy...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2017, 6:54:54 PM4/19/17
to opalrb
PostgreSQL is an amazing platform for deploying code. But although it supports many languages, the Ruby language options has languished and is AFAICT unusable.

Until some kind soul resurrects it, I am exploring using Opal to compile Ruby code into Javascript using the V8 engine, which is very well-supported on Postgres.

My ideal would be to have a single compile function I can call in Postgres, because I can then easily use that to let me write Ruby stored procedures. Absent that, I'll settle for being able to compile externally.

PLv8 on Postgres offers a persistent object that I could load libraries onto. So I think I can make this work if I can get maybe a single library file that defines a single Opal object, and then I can compile all the things. But I think I need to be able to do a minimal compile that doesn't assume much more than the presence of V8 — no browser, no node, no node standard libraries (not sure about how much of this I can work around, just offering theories).

So: how do I use Opal-generated JS on Postgres?

Steve (Gmail)

Apr 19, 2017, 7:02:07 PM4/19/17
to opa...@googlegroups.com

You should probably direct this the the gitter group for opal/opal.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

blog: http://steve.stewdle.com/blog
twitter: @boberetezeke