Announcing OneBusAway Watchdog

Sean Barbeau

Sep 27, 2013, 10:16:09 AM9/27/13
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Hi OBA Developers,
I'd like to announce a new tool for OBA server admins - "OneBusAway Watchdog" (https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-watchdog).

OBA Watchdog is a Python script that periodically queries a OBA REST API and checks the results to make sure that everything is working correctly (e.g., API responds properly, real-time data exists in the output, no unrealistic results like 100% ontime performance).  If something is wrong, it fires off an email to the server admin.  More details are available in the readme in the Github repo above.

This was created by Derek Edwards and Landon Reed at Georgia Tech, but since they're both tied up in other projects I'm the one that gets to share the good news :).

The tool is still in an early state, but its a great foundation to build upon.

Sean

Sean Barbeau
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida

Frumin, Michael

Sep 27, 2013, 10:25:56 AM9/27/13
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com

Sean, this is good stuff.  I would also encourage you to think about integrating this with something like Amazon Cloudwatch (which you can use even if your servers are not hosted on Amazon).  You can:

* submit any custom numerical metric into AWS (e.g. 0-or-1 for whether something works at all, %on time performance, response times, etc)

* in AWS (i.e. through configuration, not through code) set parameters for when an alarm is fired (e.g. if a given metric is at zero for more than 5 minutes)

* elsewhere in AWS, control what happens when a given alarm does fire (e.g. who gets the email or SMS, etc)

We have made extensive use of this for our project and it has been wonderful.  For fewer than 10 metrics, you can use this for free as part of Amazon’s free tier: http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Thanks,

Mike

Max Gano

Sep 27, 2013, 10:26:00 AM9/27/13
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that this weekend.

Max Gano
Skype: max.gano

Frumin, Michael

Sep 27, 2013, 10:28:27 AM9/27/13
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com

Oh yeah, also, with AWS you can see any metric going back up to 2 weeks.  This also is very very helpful for real-time problem solving as well as post-mortem analysis.

Thanks

Sean Barbeau

Sep 27, 2013, 3:39:17 PM9/27/13
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
Thanks for the feedback - I filed this as an enhancement issue on the OBA Watchdog project so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle:
https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-watchdog/issues/1

Sean

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/onebusaway-developers.

Max Gano

Sep 27, 2013, 3:51:34 PM9/27/13
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
FWIW - Puget Sound is also looking at CloudWatch for display purposes

Max Gano

When you don't know the truth, everything freezes and you can't move on. (Page Eight)

Truth is relevant (Anonymous)