"Search for Stops" Draws a Blank | Student Developers

Kevin Escalante

Feb 5, 2018, 7:08:48 PM2/5/18
to onebusaway-developers

Hi all,

I'm a student that is working with a small team to implement OBA for our county. We have access to our county's GTFS and GTFSR data. After running through the One Bus Away Quickstart Guide, we've managed to setup our OBA instance on our local server.

We're sure we have only scratched the surface on the entire implementation, but our issue lies in the search bar not working on Android and on the WebApp.

Attached to this post is our log file and a "crop" of the log file which we believe highlights issues with the GTFSR data.

 We can see the bus stops if we zoom in close enough on both the Android and WebApp. However, whenever we try to swipe to any new section on the map, the "Out of Range" prompt immediately pops up. Nothing happens when we click the "Take Me There" option.

==========================Snippet of log file of what we believe may be the error===================

2018-02-05 15:23:38,244 WARN  [CommonsLogger.java:60] : No configuration found for the specified action: '/userIndex_login' in namespace: '/'. Form action defaulting to 'action' attribute's literal value.

2018-02-05 15:23:38,493 WARN  [CommonsLogger.java:60] : No configuration found for the specified action: '/userIndex_login' in namespace: '/'. Form action defaulting to 'action' attribute's literal value.

2018-02-05 15:23:40,793 INFO  [Version.java:56] : Hibernate Validator 4.0.0.GA

2018-02-05 15:23:56,694 WARN  [GtfsRealtimeTripLibrary.java:235] : unknown/total trips= 84/84

2018-02-05 15:23:56,694 WARN  [GtfsRealtimeSource.java:401] : Error updating from GTFS-realtime data sources

at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)

at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)

at org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.impl.realtime.gtfs_realtime.GtfsRealtimeSource.createId(GtfsRealtimeSource.java:335)

at org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.impl.realtime.gtfs_realtime.GtfsRealtimeSource.handleAlerts(GtfsRealtimeSource.java:315)

at org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.impl.realtime.gtfs_realtime.GtfsRealtimeSource.handeUpdates(GtfsRealtimeSource.java:266)

at org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.impl.realtime.gtfs_realtime.GtfsRealtimeSource.refresh(GtfsRealtimeSource.java:244)

at org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.impl.realtime.gtfs_realtime.GtfsRealtimeSource$RefreshTask.run(GtfsRealtimeSource.java:399)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

===========================End of Snippet=======================================

We want to highlight that we are not asking anybody to write out code or figure all of this out for us. We would just like some pointers in the right direction! We're new to this and would love to learn!

Thank you so much for any input on this! :)

*Note: We have not attempted anything other than Android and the WebApp

log1.txt

Sheldon A. Brown

Feb 7, 2018, 8:44:43 AM2/7/18
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin!

Thanks for trying out OneBusAway!  And sorry for the delay in responding, I'm a bit behind in email.

The log segment you sent is quite helpful.  I see perhaps two issues that need to be resolved:

1) This line here:
2018-02-05 15:23:56,694 WARN  [GtfsRealtimeTripLibrary.java:235] : unknown/total trips= 84/84
Indicates that the GTFS Realtime did not map properly to the static GTFS. You either have an agency configuration issue, or the trip_ids are not consistent.  If this doesn't help, please post your data-sources.xml for the onebusaway-transit-data-federation-webapp

2) The exception is hint that the GTFS Realtime alerts feed is empty or malformed.  If this is the case, simply don't specify an alerts URL in your data-sources.xml configuration.

I'll also note that you are working with the old user interface, which as been officially deprecated and is now unsupported.  I'm working to update the documentation of the v2/enterprise user interface, but am also quite far behind on that.

Good luck!

Sheldon

Sean Barbeau

Feb 7, 2018, 3:19:13 PM2/7/18
to onebusaway-developers
Also, if you're interested in getting the new v2 web UI up and running, Dan has been working on getting this set up in a Docker instance here:

Still a few speed bumps, so more eyes are always appreciated!

Sean
Message has been deleted

Kevin Escalante

Feb 7, 2018, 6:27:42 PM2/7/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hi Sheldon!

Thank you for the warm welcoming! There's no problem with the time it took to reply. More than anything I appreciate a reply, no matter how long it takes.

I do not mean to disregard any of the comments that Sean and you mentioned, but we ended up figuring out the issue! It was minor, but we had not been
properly building the bundle with our GTFS data. We fixed the issue and everything else worked much better. The android app is showing our stops, routes and
all except for the realtime location of buses. We're not sure why this is the case, but we're enjoying ourselves trying to figure it out.

Thank you to both you and Sean for extending a helping hand out to us!