Building and Deploying in a Linux Environment

Ryan Brownell

Jun 21, 2017, 11:18:51 PM6/21/17
to onebusaway-developers
Hello All;

I am fairly new to the back end deployment of onebusaway. I am currently following the Linux Hints and Tips page (accounting for newer versions of software as part of the process... Using java8, tomcat8 and Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS). During the build process I keep encountering this error:

[INFO] [yer.DeployerWatchdog] Deployable [http://localhost:9900/onebusaway-federations-webapp/remoting/index.action] failed to finish deploying within the timeout period [20000]. The Deployable state is thus unknown.

I have googled the error message and can't seem to find the correct configuration file to increase this timeout. I have also tried using Maven's -DskipTests flag in addition to the clean and install commands. This problem may have been covered on another post on this group but it doesn't have a conclusion to resolve the problem.

I would also like to contribute to the Linux Hints and Tips page to create a more comprehensive step by step guide to deploying and configuring a OBA instance on an Ubuntu installation so that anyone just starting with OBA can spin up a deployment with very little effort.

Thanks for your help;

-Ryan

Sheldon A. Brown

Jun 22, 2017, 5:46:37 AM6/22/17
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

are you building from the latest commit in the OneBusAway repository?
I just ran into the same issue -- its not your fault. I'm seeing some
"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.index_jspx" so I think the version of
tomcat needs to be upgraded to support the latest java. I'll try to
squeeze that in today.

We can certainly accept help on the Linux setup documentation as well.
Feel free to make a pull request (if GitHub supports that yet) or just
post your content here and I'll merge it.

Thanks!

Sheldon

Sheldon A. Brown

Jun 22, 2017, 6:39:58 AM6/22/17
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Ok -- update your codebase and try again. I updated Jenkins to build
with Java8 and its passing so things look ok on my end.

Let us know if you have any issues.

Sheldon

Ryan Brownell

Mar 24, 2018, 2:06:18 PM3/24/18
to onebusaway-developers
Thanks for this (I know it is almost a year later... I have been using the quick start ever since). It is building successfully.

I will continue with the guide and send updates as appropriate.

Thanks again for your help. :)

-Ryan

Ryan Brownell

Apr 15, 2018, 12:41:30 AM4/15/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hello All;

I have completed my guide and have added it to the Wiki on my own.

-Ryan

Sheldon A. Brown

Apr 15, 2018, 7:37:22 AM4/15/18
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan!

This is a good start. A couple of suggestions to improve it:

1) The wiki page should be located at
http://github.com/oneBusAway/onebusaway-application-modules/wiki, not
the base OneBusAway project
2) Are you able to update the instruction for tomcat 8.5 and java 8?
3) I wouldn't suggest building from source especially if you are not
making code changes. Maven releases are located here:
http://nexus.onebusaway.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/onebusaway/
In your case the combined webapp is here:
onebusaway-combined-webapp-1.1.18-full.war
4) Are you interested in creating a similar document for v2.0.0 of
onebusaway? I could use some help with that.

Thanks again!

Sheldon

Sheldon A. Brown

Apr 15, 2018, 7:41:59 AM4/15/18
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com

Ryan Brownell

Apr 15, 2018, 8:52:05 AM4/15/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hi Sheldon;

I will certainly be happy make the changes, though there were reasons why I did what I did.

This article was based off of https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-application-modules/wiki/Linux-Hints-and-Tips and was intended to simplify the process documented there. If we can simplify it further, I am all for that.

1) I placed it in the Wiki where I did to reduce the obscurity of the article itself. When someone visits onebusaway.org, clicks on "Deployments," clicks on "set up OneBusAway", and then clicks on the "OneBusAway Project Wiki" the link takes the user to the wiki on the base onebusaway project.

Once I finish the modifications, I would suggest that something be done on onebusaway.org to bring the article forward and make it easier for users to find. Perhaps adding links to the Transit Agency Resources and Developers pages.

2) When I started this process, I was able to successfully build the application with Java 8 but I was not able to build a data bundle with http://gtfs.halifax.ca/static/google_transit.zip. I successfully tested my guide using this same data bundle. This was a year ago so I will give it another try.

Does the already-built WAR files impact how the transit bundle is built? I.e. Is the application needed to build the bundle included in the already-build WAR file? Or is there something else to download to do that?

3) I had no idea we didn't have to build the project from the source code! This is what I was looking for all along and defiantly should be brought forward so others can deploy without building.

4) As long as I can create a working deployment I will be more than happy to help with that.

Another question for you: My guide covers doing the full deployment of onebusaway. Any chance that you could point me in the right direction for this? Say, for example, how would one do and API only deployment and still configure the API keys?

Also, is there a built in way to get the the onebusaway standard homepage to be the same as quickstart homepage when one first spins up a deployment? In terms of the deployment experience, it is kind of odd doing all this work to then have to navigate to an obscure URL rather than having a link to click to get to /where/standard. To simplify things, perhaps just adding a link to /where/standard on the "Congratulations" page is all that is needed.

I will happy to tweak the source code for this, is there any specific repository I should be using or do I need to update multiple repositories to make this change?

Thanks;

-Ryan

Sheldon A. Brown

Apr 15, 2018, 9:35:40 AM4/15/18
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
> Hi Sheldon;
>
> I will certainly be happy make the changes, though there were reasons why I
> did what I did.

Certainly. There always are :) I'd prefer to use your effort for
something a little more generic, that's all.

> This article was based off of
> https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-application-modules/wiki/Linux-Hints-and-Tips
> and was intended to simplify the process documented there. If we can
> simplify it further, I am all for that.
>
> 1) I placed it in the Wiki where I did to reduce the obscurity of the
> article itself. When someone visits onebusaway.org, clicks on "Deployments,"
> clicks on "set up OneBusAway", and then clicks on the "OneBusAway Project
> Wiki" the link takes the user to the wiki on the base onebusaway project.

Good point. I have access, or can get access to onebusaway.org. I'd
rather fix the link to go to the correct wiki.

> Once I finish the modifications, I would suggest that something be done on
> onebusaway.org to bring the article forward and make it easier for users to
> find. Perhaps adding links to the Transit Agency Resources and Developers
> pages.

Agreed! I can take care of that, or push others to do it.

> 2) When I started this process, I was able to successfully build the
> application with Java 8 but I was not able to build a data bundle with
> http://gtfs.halifax.ca/static/google_transit.zip. I successfully tested my
> guide using this same data bundle. This was a year ago so I will give it
> another try.
>
> Does the already-built WAR files impact how the transit bundle is built?
> I.e. Is the application needed to build the bundle included in the
> already-build WAR file? Or is there something else to download to do that?

The version of the bundle builder needs to match the version of the
deployed code as a best practice. Java 8 should work, if it doesn't
let me know/file an issue and I'll investigate. I'm using java 8 on
newer deployments so it shouldn't be a problem. Though apparently
there are some issues with Java 9, but I haven't had a chance to look
at them yet.

> 3) I had no idea we didn't have to build the project from the source code!
> This is what I was looking for all along and defiantly should be brought
> forward so others can deploy without building.

Yes, it makes the quickstart that much simpler. You'll still need to
explode the war to modify the data-sources.xml, but that's easy in
comparison to running maven.

> 4) As long as I can create a working deployment I will be more than happy to
> help with that.

The big difference is that onebusaway-webapp no longer exists. Its
replaced with onebusaway-enterprise-acta-webapp.

> Another question for you: My guide covers doing the full deployment of
> onebusaway. Any chance that you could point me in the right direction for
> this? Say, for example, how would one do and API only deployment and still
> configure the API keys?

The combined-webapp "full" version doesn't exist any longer, but it
could, someone just needs to do the appropriate maven/assembly magic.
If you are up for a challenge, I can give you some hints.

> Also, is there a built in way to get the the onebusaway standard homepage to
> be the same as quickstart homepage when one first spins up a deployment? In
> terms of the deployment experience, it is kind of odd doing all this work to
> then have to navigate to an obscure URL rather than having a link to click
> to get to /where/standard. To simplify things, perhaps just adding a link to
> /where/standard on the "Congratulations" page is all that is needed.
>
> I will happy to tweak the source code for this, is there any specific
> repository I should be using or do I need to update multiple repositories to
> make this change?

This isn't appropriate anymore as onebusaway-webapp is gone. The new
default page is map based, not wiki based.

Sheldon

Ryan Brownell

Jul 7, 2018, 4:10:37 PM7/7/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hi Sheldon;

I was working on updating the guide for Java 8 and am still running into an issue with building the transit data bundle. I've done this for the latest release and what is in the master branch using Java 8 and the software errors out just before it finishes building the data bundle.

The error is:

2018-07-07 17:00:28,918 ERROR [FederatedTransitDataBundleCreatorMain.java:211] : error building transit data bundle
java.lang.IllegalStateException: error invoking refresh method=public void org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.impl.transit_graph.TransitGraphDaoImpl.setup() throws java.io.IOException,java.lang.ClassNotFoundException on target object=org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.impl.transit_graph.TransitGraphDaoImpl@228edc66

I don't have this issue when building the bundle with Java 7.

Do you still need help with the documentation for Version 2 of the software? I took a brief look at it but couldn't get the docker to work nor could I get the data bundle constructed with Java 8. I am going to try it with Java 7 to see if there is any success.

-Ryan

Sheldon A. Brown

Jul 7, 2018, 4:29:42 PM7/7/18
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Can you try increasing your stack and heap sizes just in case?  I build with Java8 so I don’t think it’s that.   Try the flags:

-Xss4m -Xmx1g

Sent from my mobile device (I'll be brief)

Ryan Brownell

Jul 7, 2018, 5:10:41 PM7/7/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hi Sheldon;

That did it!

I will work on updated documentation this week.

Thanks again;

-Ryan
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to onebusaway-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Ryan Brownell

Jul 7, 2018, 7:35:12 PM7/7/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hello Again Sheldon;

Another issue... This time with Tomcat 8 won't start the application. I downloaded the app from http://nexus.onebusaway.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/onebusaway/onebusaway-combined-webapp/1.1.18/onebusaway-combined-webapp-1.1.18-full.war Moved it to the webapp/ROOT folder configured it as I described in the guide I wrote and I keep getting this:

2018-07-07 20:23:30,310 INFO  [AbstractSessionFactoryBean.java:246] : Closing Hibernate SessionFactory
2018-07-07 20:23:30,311 INFO  [SessionFactoryImpl.java:805] : closing
2018-07-07 20:23:30,394 INFO  [EhCacheManagerFactoryBean.java:113] : Shutting down EHCache CacheManager
2018-07-07 20:23:30,396 ERROR [ContextLoader.java:220] : Context initialization failed
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mbeanExporter' defined in class path res[org/onebusaway/container/application-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.bectory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'blockLocationServiceImpl': Injection of autowired dependencies faileted exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire method: public void org.onebusaway.t_data_federation.impl.realtime.BlockLocationServiceImpl.setTransitGraphDao(org.onebusaway.transit_data_federation.services.tranaph.TransitGraphDao); nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with namesitGraphDaoImpl': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.StackOverflowError

The application won't start because of a Stack Overflow Error. I increased the RAM to 3GB (up from 1750MB) and still the same error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks;

-Ryan

Sheldon A. Brown

Jul 7, 2018, 7:38:10 PM7/7/18
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Stackoverflow is controlled by the -Xss switch, not the heap. Try increasing that but not more than 8m.

Sent from my mobile device (I'll be brief)

Ryan Brownell

Jul 7, 2018, 10:56:58 PM7/7/18
to onebusaway-developers
That did it.

Thanks again!

Ryan Brownell

Jul 28, 2018, 3:46:34 PM7/28/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hello All;

I have updated the Configuration and Deployment Guide for v1.x to use Java 8 and have broken out the build process into a separate guide.

I should have the v2.x Guide finished tomorrow.

Sheldon. Do you have any thoughts/requests?

Thanks;

-Ryan

Ryan Brownell

Jul 29, 2018, 7:31:15 PM7/29/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hi Sheldon;

This time two weeks ago I was able to get OBA v2 working from the source code by building it with Maven. I am trying to emulate the same process but instead using the pre-built versions from Nexus.

I am having success for each component except for the onebusaway-enterprise-acta-webapp which keeps throwing this error:

29-Jul-2018 20:23:08.419 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8080"]
29-Jul-2018 20:23:08.455 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 101962 ms
2018-07-29 20:23:08,685 ERROR [BundleManagementServiceImpl.java:285] : data error:  getBundleMetadata is null
29-Jul-2018 20:23:08.731 INFO [Thread-10] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [com.caucho.hessian.io.Hessian2Input$ReadInputStream]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
 java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [com.caucho.hessian.io.Hessian2Input$ReadInputStream]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1305)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForClassLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1293)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1158)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)
        at com.caucho.hessian.client.HessianProxyFactory.getHessian2Input(HessianProxyFactory.java:489)
        at com.caucho.hessian.client.HessianProxy.invoke(HessianProxy.java:193)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy102.getAgenciesWithCoverage(Unknown Source)
        at org.springframework.remoting.caucho.HessianClientInterceptor.invoke(HessianClientInterceptor.java:222)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy103.getAgenciesWithCoverage(Unknown Source)
        at org.onebusaway.presentation.impl.ServiceAreaServiceImpl$BackgroundThread.run(ServiceAreaServiceImpl.java:130)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Exception in thread "Thread-10" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/caucho/hessian/io/Hessian2Input$ReadInputStream
        at com.caucho.hessian.client.HessianProxyFactory.getHessian2Input(HessianProxyFactory.java:489)
        at com.caucho.hessian.client.HessianProxy.invoke(HessianProxy.java:193)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy102.getAgenciesWithCoverage(Unknown Source)
        at org.springframework.remoting.caucho.HessianClientInterceptor.invoke(HessianClientInterceptor.java:222)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy103.getAgenciesWithCoverage(Unknown Source)
        at org.onebusaway.presentation.impl.ServiceAreaServiceImpl$BackgroundThread.run(ServiceAreaServiceImpl.java:130)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [com.caucho.hessian.io.Hessian2Input$ReadInputStream]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForClassLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1295)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1158)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)
        ... 13 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [com.caucho.hessian.io.Hessian2Input$ReadInputStream]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1305)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForClassLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1293)
        ... 15 more

I am almost done the v2 guide but I can't really finish it until I figure out how to get past this problem.

I have put up what I have so far (with a warning of course)

Thanks;

-Ryan

Ryan Brownell

Jul 29, 2018, 10:55:02 PM7/29/18
to onebusaway-developers
Hi Sheldon;

Disregard the last request. I have resolved the issue.

A rough draft of the deployment guide for V2 is up. I plan to revise, edit and add additional contrast to it later on this week.

Have a great week;

-Ryan

Sean Barbeau

Jul 30, 2018, 9:43:47 AM7/30/18
to onebusaway-developers
Thanks Ryan!

Sheldon A. Brown

Jul 30, 2018, 5:50:51 PM7/30/18
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks Ryan, this is fantastic. I've got some travel this week
but I'll try to review this next weekend.

Sheldon

Ryan Brownell

Jan 10, 2019, 10:39:14 PM1/10/19
to onebusaway-developers
Hello Again Sheldon (and anyone else who this may be of interest);

I hope all is well. I haven't heard from you so I am assuming that the documentation is adequate.

When I wrote it a while ago, everything was working without any significant issue.

I am however experiencing an issue that has me stumped.

I have two (seemingly) identical setups. The only difference between the two is the hardware. Though the one that is not working has more memory.

The scheduling data works but the Real-time data does not... I keep getting this error:

2019-01-11 03:26:32,035 WARN  [GtfsRealtimeTripLibrary.java:503] : block Halifax_13361 does not exist on service date ServiceIdDate(2019-1-10)
2019-01-11 03:26:32,038 WARN  [GtfsRealtimeTripLibrary.java:503] : block Halifax_13684 does not exist on service date ServiceIdDate(2019-1-10)
2019-01-11 03:26:32,039 INFO  [GtfsRealtimeSource.java:450] : Agency Halifax has active vehicles=0 for updates=66 with most recent timestamp Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 UTC 1970

The data-sources.xml files are also identical between the two installations. The data bundle is also duplicated between the two installations.

Any thoughts? If I get this figured out, I will update the v2 documentation accordingly.

-Ryan

Sheldon A. Brown

Jan 11, 2019, 8:10:38 AM1/11/19
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the poke on the docs. I looked briefly but forgot to go back.

The message "Agency Halifax has active vehicles=0 for updates=66 with
most recent timestamp Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 UTC 1970" means that 66
real-time message were received and understood, but none were matched
to active service.

Possible causes for this include:
* System clock/timezone issues
* incorrect bundle/GTFS for the real-time
* mis-configuration of the agency if using multi agencies/feeds

This can be a tough one to debug if its not one of the simple issue
listed above. After triple checking the your configuration and
bundle, you'll need to but logging into DEBUG mode and / or debug the
GTFSRealtimeSource and find out why the data isn't matching.

Good Luck!

Sheldon

>> > --

Ryan Brownell

Jan 12, 2019, 9:54:22 AM1/12/19
to onebusaway-developers
Hi Sheldon;

Thanks for your help! It turned out to be the server's Timezone not being set... Apparently OBA doesn't like UTC? Or my transit bundle's data is written in AST.

I have updated the V2 Deployment Guide to include that.

I recently have switched my OBA deployment from running on a PC in my home to running on a VPS managed by Linode. They provide pre-built images to deploy which didn't allow for the standard Debian setup wizard that I am used to which would have asked me for a timzeone.

Thanks again!

-Ryan

>> > --

Sheldon A. Brown

Jan 12, 2019, 2:46:48 PM1/12/19
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
I have to admit to have not experimented fully with OBA TZ support, but my understanding is that if the TZ is not specified in agency.txt then it is assumed to be local time. So if the feed is using AST and not specified otherwise then it won’t match to UTC.

I’m glad that worked!

Sheldon

Sent from my mobile device (I'll be brief)