Celastrina neglecta , early spring form confirmed for Pelee 18 April 2016

Gary Tetzlaff

Apr 24, 2016, 10:50:08 AM4/24/16
to Ontario Butterflies

I've just now received confirmation that the photos that I supplied in the Sprung Azure post are indeed Celastrina neglecta early spring form Summer Azure males.

The confirmations comes from Harry Pavulaan and Dr. David Wright.

Since this is an increasingly common occurrence east of the Appalachians, i.e. Summer Azures preceeding Spring Azures (C. ladon  and C. lucia Auctorum) in seasonal occurence, new occurence data for Ontairo is also in order.

This 18 April date moves that species early occurrence ahead almost two weeks (on the TEA database) and adds one generation to the two generations already expected here.

Standard equipment for finding C. lucia Auctorum at Point Pelee might now require snowshoes; it might also follow the arrival of summer Azures.

Wonderful!

I got one specimen from north of Pelee this week and will be seeking more  - because it is a necessity to expand specimen records as well as photographic detection records.

How far this phenomenon extends into ontario is up to lepidopterists, field naturalists and butterfly enthusiasts to determine.

"for the times, they are a changin' "
Gary

james holdsworth

Apr 24, 2016, 10:53:52 AM4/24/16
to Ontario Butterflies
I think I'm going to be calling a lot of ''blue'' butterflies just ''Azures'' from now on......thanks for the sleuthing Gary!

rick cavasin

Apr 24, 2016, 11:10:56 AM4/24/16
to Ontario Butterflies
Gary,

You may want to stay tuned for a soon-to-be published paper on Ontario Azures.

Not everyone is going to be happy with or agree with the findings, but that's how the ball bounces.

Cheers, Rick

Gary Tetzlaff

Apr 24, 2016, 4:57:55 PM4/24/16
to Ontario Butterflies
Thanks James and Rick.
If Dr Chris Schmidt is an author it will be worth reading. If it involves discussions about food preferences and populations with taxonomic names tied to what is flying these days instead of just past descriptions since before Origin of the Species was published and digested, it will be a bonus. If it rolls some detail about mtDNA and even electrophoresis into the discussion, with context of all Asian and North American Celastrina in the mix, so much the better.

The time cycle for publication for that paper doesn't jive with the short period of time that I had to try to find the univoltine "Spring" Azures that are supposed to be here. The presence of these April Azures - without bar codes or implants telling me their life history and developmental history in the right pocket of their genes didn't surprise me.  Winkwink.

What's important for folks with cameras and or binoculars is that speciation of azures (or any other leps) is not something that will ever fit nicely into the molds that we have created to receive them.

And wasn't it good that Saunders in 1875 already revealed how neglecta was such a frequent encounter inthe vicinity of Point Pelee?? (People interestedinthe  creatoin f Point Pelee as a National Park may know somethingg about the work of this naturalist.)

As I was reminded this afternoon by an old school teacher I encounterd out while she was out looking at birds, "the reason some academic arguments can be so vicious is that there is so precious little at stake."

Maybe Phyciodes is next!!

Alan Wormington

Apr 28, 2016, 7:19:41 PM4/28/16
to onbutt...@googlegroups.com
Gary

When you say "Saunders" I presume you are referring to William E. Saunders who resided mostly in London?  His first visits to Point Pelee were in 1882, 1884 and 1900.  In the published literature he mostly talked about birds, and almost never mentioned anything about butterflies (including azures).

His father, William W. Saunders (mostly of Ottawa), possibly visited Point Pelee only once, and that was in late June of 1882 (not related to the August and September trips that W.E. Saunders made the same year).  On that visit, the senior Saunders does discuss several species of butterflies in detail via a paper that was published in "The Canadian Entomologist" (1885).  That paper includes details pertaining to the first and only record of Mexican Sulphur for Ontario, but he makes no mention of azures.

So I am a bit puzzled by your Saunders 1875 reference below.  Would like to know where you read about Saunders' comments on azures, as it might be something that I do not currently have in my library.  Thanks.

Alan Wormington
Leamington, Ontario

Gary Tetzlaff

May 1, 2016, 8:17:13 AM5/1/16
to Ontario Butterflies
You should be able to get your hands on a copy of Canadian Entomologist 7 from 1875.
TTR6-6 and the the 26 April-published Zookeys  article by Schmidt and Layberry found that.

It will take a while to locate the source of the note I had made in transcribing Microfilm library information of interest to local newspapers published in the Amherstburg Echo from those early days of that newspaper.

But I also had access in 1993 to the Windsor Public Libraries ancient books that were later surplussed and sold - the Canadian Encyclopoedia, that may be an expansion of the 1875 article/note in the Canadian Entomologist.

The vicinity of Point Pelee would include London, if looking for a butterfly described in West Virginia in the early 1870s.

The Canada Southern Railway had just arrived in 1872, providing a way to get from London  to Tilbury and Comber. The Miighigan Central Railway operated on the the tracks (owned by the Vanderbuilts and part of the NYC) . The Leamington railway branch that connected Comber to the Village of Leamington didn't happen until 1887. The rapid and massive clearning of the deciduous forests here took place in the 1880s and the drainage of the Point Pelee Marsh (except for the remnants inplace today) began inthe 1890s.
Leamington as a village as in 1874, while Mersea had been here since 1796.
Point Pelee Marsh was what the SE part of Mersea was and it ws largely uninhabited.
My great great grandfather Ellis Hillman's homestead was where the lane takes you at ERCA's Hillman Marsh conservation Area since 1841.

But yes, should I encounter the source of that residue of opinion in print  (or projection) again, I'll share it with you.