INET 3.6.0 is now available...

Rudolf Hornig

Jun 15, 2017, 9:25:51 AM6/15/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Dear INET users, we are happy to announce INET Framework version 3.6.0. Go ahead and get it now!

The most prominent new feature in this release is the introduction of a brand new IEEE 802.11 MAC model, written by Benjámin Seregi. This model replaces the old WiFi MAC model and allows a lot more flexibility for future enhancements.

Highlights in this release:

  • The IEEE 802.11 MAC model has been extended with several new components. The implementation is entirely based on the standard IEEE 802.11™-2012 Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications.

    The new architecture is designed to be modular to facilitate experimenting with new policies, features and algorithms within the MAC layer. Users can easily replace individual components with their own implementations. Policies, which most likely to be experimented with, are extracted into their own modules.

    The new model has the following replaceable built-in policies:

    • ACK policy
    • RTS/CTS policy
    • Originator and recipient block ACK agreement policies
    • MSDU aggregation policy
    • Fragmentation policy

    The new model also separates the following components:

    • Coordination functions
    • Channel access methods
    • MAC data services
    • Aggregation and deaggregation
    • Fragmentation and defragmentation
    • Block ACK agreements and reordering
    • Frame exchange sequences
    • Duplicate removal
    • Rate selection
    • Rate control
    • Protection mechanisms
    • Recovery procedure
    • Contention
    • Frame queues
    • TX/RX

    There are several enhancements and new features to the previous version, the most notable are frame exchange sequences, block acknowledgement, and MSDU aggregation.

    The new version was thoroughly tested against the old one using fingerprint tests. The tests ensure that the new version doesn’t introduce any regression. In fact, the tests brought up a few problems in the old implementation that were fixed in the new one.

  • The power model has been extended with support for charge/current based models as opposed to the existing energy/power based ones. A new energy management component has also been added to separate monitoring and controlling of energy consumers and generators from the rest of the model.

  • New visualizers has been added to display packet drops and link breaks, data contained in interface tables, routes stored in routing tables, queues filled with packets, residual capacity of energy storages, and transport connections between network nodes. The new visualizers are also added to the already existing integrated ones. Note: many features that work with the 2D visualizers currently don’t work with the 3D OSG visualizers.

  • On Windows, INET is no longer using the auto-import feature of the linker, because it generated more than 65536 symbols. Dependent projects crashed because of this. All INET APIs now should be prefixed with INET_API macro. (fixes #257)

  • The makefile now generates separate precompiled header for debug and release mode. This is required to be able to quicly switch between release and debug mode in the IDE.

  • Added new features for various tutorials and showcases.

Mary Pouryazdanpanah Kermani

Jun 30, 2017, 11:59:26 AM6/30/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Is Bluetooth or Zigbee connection is added too in this new version?

Michael Kirsche

Jun 30, 2017, 12:16:07 PM6/30/17
to OMNeT++ Users
No Bluetooth or ZigBee models available for OMNeT at the moment as far as I know...

Mary Pouryazdanpanah Kermani

Jul 5, 2017, 10:45:49 AM7/5/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Thanks. So do you have any suggestion for using as an alternative which simulate a kind of same behaivior like Bluetooth or Zegbee in Omnet++?

Michael Kirsche

Jul 5, 2017, 11:52:40 AM7/5/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Alternatives to Bluetooth or ZigBee? Not really, there are other wireless standards / systems that can be used for similar applications that both ZigBee and Bluetooth cover, but again, no model in OMNeT that I know of.
You probably need to model them by yourself if you are interested in simulating them. Depending on your specific interest, you can maybe use existing models of higher or lower layer standards (e.g., IEEE 802.15.4) or protocols to create your own ZigBee model on-top. Or take a look at other simulators and try to port existing models for OMNeT maybe.

Mary Pouryazdanpanah Kermani

Jul 5, 2017, 12:53:21 PM7/5/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Thanks again. I see. So you think is there any example close enough to bluetooth among provided examples in OMNET that I can start with to make my own simulation?

Michael Kirsche

Jul 5, 2017, 1:57:25 PM7/5/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Not really, Bluetooth is pretty different from 802.15.4 or 802.11 in terms of functionalities.
You will need to start creating your own models before you can simulate anything useful.

Mary Pouryazdanpanah Kermani

Jul 5, 2017, 2:27:06 PM7/5/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Thanks for given information

Rudolf Hornig

Jul 6, 2017, 4:55:57 AM7/6/17
to OMNeT++ Users
I run across this: http://cc.oulu.fi/~kmikhayl/BLE.html

I'm not sure how accurate or usable is this, if you can play with it a bit and get it to work it could be a candidate also to porting it to INET. We are really interested on your opinion.

Rudolf

Mary Pouryazdanpanah Kermani

Jul 6, 2017, 9:38:30 AM7/6/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link. Actually I saw it before and it's working on Mixim but not on INET I even try to import it to INET BUT there are a lot of libraries which are missing. But if we can add it to INET , it would be amazing.

marzieh ghasemi

Jul 6, 2017, 2:48:42 PM7/6/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Dear Rudolf
Could you please tell me whether this version of INET can be installed on Linux?

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Michael Kirsche

Jul 6, 2017, 2:54:19 PM7/6/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Every version of INET can be installed on Linux. INET can be used on every operating system that can run and compile OMNeT++ simulations.

marzieh ghasemi

Jul 8, 2017, 6:35:08 AM7/8/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Thank you very much.

iphey

Jul 26, 2017, 11:10:50 PM7/26/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Thank you very much.
Anyway is there any model for IEEE 802.15.4a IR-UWB? I had worked it with mixim before, but I would like to know if IR-UWB also added into new INET?
Or is there any way to simulate IR-UWB with new INET

inet user

Oct 19, 2017, 3:28:30 PM10/19/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Could you please tell me what should be the configuration to apply RTS/CTS,data, ACK in wsn using Ieee802.11 mac?
*.host*.wlan[0].typename = ?
*.host*.wlan[0].macType = ?
*.host*.wlan[0].radioType = ?
or Which file should I modify to implement those?