[Plexe] Problems with sumo-launchd.py and Ubuntu 14.04

Steffen Neffets

Mar 24, 2015, 4:11:03 AM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have problems with the sumo-launchd.py script which comes with plexe. When I try to execute the script via command line, it seems like the script stops executing after lock = thread.allocate_lock().

However, I can run sumo with the command line using the remote-port option and execute the simulation afterwards. Using the python script would be more handy, as I don't have to restart it everytime I want to launch a simulation.

Does somebody know why sumo-launchd.py is not working on my Ubuntu 14.04 machine? I have tried it already under Windows 7 and the script works fine there.

Thanks in advance!

Michele Segata

Mar 24, 2015, 5:45:04 AM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steffen,

this is really strange. The sumo-launchd.py is the one which is provided
with Veins. I just tried making a diff between the Veins master branch
and the plexe-dev branch on this file, which confirmed they are equal.
I'm using it on ubuntu 14.04 as well, and it always worked. Which python
version are you using? On my ubuntu 14.04 I have python 2.7.6, while on
my mac I have python 2.7.9 from MacPorts. Always worked on both systems...

Are you using the plexe version 1.1? In there I see small differences
between that version of sumo-launchd and the ones that are in the veins
master and the plexe-dev branches.
If you are using the version 1.1, I suggest you to clone the github repos

https://github.com/michele-segata/plexe-veins.git
https://github.com/michele-segata/plexe-sumo.git

and switch to the plexe-dev branch. This is the development branch, but
it will be soon released as the new version, which is better as it
includes veins 4 new features and supports sumo 0.22.0.

Let me know
Michele

Il 24/03/15 09:11, Steffen Neffets ha scritto:
> --

Michele Segata, MSc

Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science
University of Trento, Italy

Institute of Computer Science
University of Innsbruck, Austria
http://ccs-labs.org/~segata/

Steffen Neffets

Mar 24, 2015, 6:08:35 AM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply!

I have the same problem with sumo-launchd.py which comes with veins. I also have python version 2.7.6 installed. For plexe I use the latest version which is available on the website as archive.

Is there any setting in Ubuntu 14 which prevents the use of ports?

Michele Segata

Mar 24, 2015, 11:50:32 AM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Ok then you are using the old version. For a quick n dirty test, just
try to use this launchd

https://github.com/michele-segata/plexe-veins/blob/plexe-dev/sumo-launchd.py

If this works, then the problem is in the old version you are using. I
anyhow warmly suggest you to clone the git repository and use the
plexe-dev version. The 1.1 is going to become obsolete soon, so do not
get too much used to that. If you develop applications and scenarios for
the 1.1 version and then switch to the new one, it will be painful. So
start immediately with the development version.

Best
Michele
> --

Michele Segata, MSc

Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science
University of Trento, Italy

https://ans.disi.unitn.it/~segata/

Steffen Neffets

Michele Segata

Mar 26, 2015, 7:15:41 AM3/26/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Really strange.
Did you do

git checkout plexe-dev

? If you did so, and it is still not working, then you might ask for
veins help, as this has more to do with Veins than with Plexe.

Let me know if you need further help
Best
Michele

On 03/25/2015 04:48 PM, Steffen Neffets wrote:
> I cloned the git repository and have the same problem with
> sumo-launchd.py. I think it has something to do with my Ubuntu installation.
>
> BR,
> Steffen

> <mailto:seg...@ccs-labs.org>>:
>
> Ok then you are using the old version. For a quick n dirty test,
> just try to use this launchd
>
> https://github.com/michele-__segata/plexe-veins/blob/plexe-__dev/sumo-launchd.py
> <https://github.com/michele-segata/plexe-veins/blob/plexe-dev/sumo-launchd.py>
>
> If this works, then the problem is in the old version you are using.
> I anyhow warmly suggest you to clone the git repository and use the
> plexe-dev version. The 1.1 is going to become obsolete soon, so do
> not get too much used to that. If you develop applications and
> scenarios for the 1.1 version and then switch to the new one, it
> will be painful. So start immediately with the development version.
>
> Best
> Michele
>
> On 03/24/2015 11:08 AM, Steffen Neffets wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> I have the same problem with sumo-launchd.py which comes with
> veins. I
> also have python version 2.7.6 installed. For plexe I use the latest
> version which is available on the website as archive.
>
> Is there any setting in Ubuntu 14 which prevents the use of ports?
>
> --
>

> --
> Michele Segata, MSc
>
> Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science
> University of Trento, Italy
>
> https://ans.disi.unitn.it/~__segata/
> <https://ans.disi.unitn.it/~segata/>
>
> Institute of Computer Science
> University of Innsbruck, Austria
>
> http://ccs-labs.org/~segata/
>
> --

Christoph Sommer

Mar 26, 2015, 8:49:56 AM3/26/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Steffen Neffets wrote:
> it seems like the script stops executing after lock = thread.allocate_lock()

So this means running "sumo-launchd.py -v" produces no output at all?

In this case your version of python is likely broken (or incompatible).
To work around this I would suggest removing the whole "UnusedPortLock"
class and all references to it.

Best,

Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Sommer
Distributed Embedded Systems Group

Steffen Neffets

Mar 26, 2015, 11:56:33 AM3/26/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Now it works! With sumo-launchd.py -v the script works properly. But when the -v option is missing, nothing is printed on the screen.

Thanks a lot!

BR,
Steffen

Michele Segata

Mar 27, 2015, 4:09:04 AM3/27/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
-v is just an option for verbose output. it does not change the behavior
of the script. if the simulation works with -v, it must work without it
as well... So if you start sumo-launchd.py without -v and you get no
output, it is the intended behavior.

Best
Michele

On 03/26/2015 04:56 PM, Steffen Neffets wrote:
> Now it works! With sumo-launchd.py -v the script works properly. But
> when the -v option is missing, nothing is printed on the screen.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> BR,
> Steffen

> <mailto:som...@ccs-labs.org>>:
>
> Steffen Neffets wrote:
> > it seems like the script stops executing after lock = thread.allocate_lock()
>
> So this means running "sumo-launchd.py -v" produces no output at all?
>
> In this case your version of python is likely broken (or incompatible).
> To work around this I would suggest removing the whole "UnusedPortLock"
> class and all references to it.
>
> Best,
>
> Christoph
>

> --
> Dr. Christoph Sommer
> Distributed Embedded Systems Group
> University of Paderborn, Germany
> http://www.ccs-labs.org/~sommer/
>
> --

Steffen Neffets

Mar 27, 2015, 11:12:20 AM3/27/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, that's true... I am very sorry. I was always expecting some output. As there was no output in the console I thought it is not working properly.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

BR,
Steffen