INET wired routing. Configure static routes differentiated by a parameter

Pedro Yébenes Segura

Apr 14, 2015, 4:27:54 AM4/14/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I am using the INET framework for building a wired network using ethernet and TCP/IP. By using a XML configuration file, you can define static routes between nodes in the network. However, I have not found the way to configure several static route between 2 nodes differentiated by a parameter like the source node. I use the next example to explain my doubt.

Let assume the attached network. If I want to sent packet from the server (srv) to the client 1 (cli[1]), I have 4 different routes that can be easily configured in the XML file. One of them may be the next:
 <route hosts="srv" destination="cli[1]" netmask="255.255.255.255" interface="eth0" />
 <route hosts="r3" destination="cli[1]" netmask="255.255.255.255" interface="eth1" />
But how can I configure that the router 1 (r1) send packets to reach the server (srv) through the router 3 (r3), if the source node is the client 0 (cli[0]), and through the router 4 (r4), if the source node is client 1 (cli[1])?

Kind regards,
network.png

Rudolf Hornig

Apr 15, 2015, 5:28:42 AM4/15/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
I'm not an expert on this, but IMHO you can't do that. Just as you can't do this on a real network with static routes configured. The decision during the static routing process is always based on the *destination* address of the packet. There are dynamic routing algorithms that allow traffic engineering like MPLS.

If you really need this, but do not want a complicated protocol like MPLS, you may need to implement your own routing component (or at least modify the actual code in INET). An other option might be to use source routing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_routing), but that extension is not implemented in INET either (as it's virtually never used in real world)

Pedro Yébenes Segura

Apr 15, 2015, 5:51:24 AM4/15/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for your answer.

Pedro Yébenes Segura
    Ph.D. Student
    Instituto de Investigación en Informática en Albacete (I3A)
    Department of Computing Systems
    University of Castilla-La Mancha
    e-mail: pedroy...@gmail.com