OMnET++ in LINUX VM recommendations

WN

May 16, 2017, 12:45:10 AM5/16/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi all,

I was using 4.6 on windows simulating LTE, until i realized i was getting bugs due to ram issues on 32 bit. I cannot get LTE working on omnet 5/5.1 that has 64 bit support.

Does anyone have experience/can confirm if OMNeT++ works OK on a linux VM? Any recommendations on the VM/distribution?

Thanks!

P.S. (A programme I use it with in windows I have found does not work correctly in a windows VM, therefore I am considering OMNeT++ in a linux VM.)

Michael Kirsche

May 16, 2017, 4:43:25 AM5/16/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Ubuntu is pretty easy to set-up, the installation manual of OMNeT covers in detail which packages are necessary and how to install / configure Ubuntu for OMNeT, so I'd suggest Ubuntu.
Arch / Manjaro might be another suggestion, as it is slim and early updated, but a bit harder to find the necessary packages since the installation manual does not cover it.
As for the VM environment, either VirtualBox or VMWare Player work both just fine.

If you have a 32-bit CPU installed on your system, you will not be able to run a 64-bit VM though... so your 32bit RAM issue will not be solved if you try to run a 64bit VM on a 32bit CPU (does not work).

Rudolf Hornig

May 18, 2017, 9:28:11 AM5/18/17
to OMNeT++ Users
On Tuesday, 16 May 2017 10:43:25 UTC+2, Michael Kirsche wrote:
Ubuntu is pretty easy to set-up, the installation manual of OMNeT covers in detail which packages are necessary and how to install / configure Ubuntu for OMNeT, so I'd suggest Ubuntu.
Yes. Ubuntu is recommended. We are internally developing OMNeT++ on Ubuntu. Some of us inside a VM (on a windows Host). So it's definitely working.

Arch / Manjaro might be another suggestion, as it is slim and early updated, but a bit harder to find the necessary packages since the installation manual does not cover it.
As for the VM environment, either VirtualBox or VMWare Player work both just fine.

If you have a 32-bit CPU installed on your system, you will not be able to run a 64-bit VM though... so your 32bit RAM issue will not be solved if you try to run a 64bit VM on a 32bit CPU (does not work).

I think processors are 64-bit capable since ages (like 2004?). The main limitation was that OMNeT++ 5.0 itself came with a 32-bit compiler (even on a 64-bit windows host, this was limiting the model address space). OMNeT++ 5.1 now comes with a 64-bit windows compiler, but INET and simuLTE still was not tested in 64-bit mode on windows.

Long story short, I'm definitely recommending running omnet in Linux. You will get 64-bit address space and faster compilation times. Yes, even inside a guest VM, the compilation is faster than on the native (windows) host system!