Deleting the .tkenvlog file

S. Edeagu

Jun 7, 2018, 5:00:39 AM6/7/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi,

My .tkenvlog file is 80GB of hard disk space. I would like to recover the space. Is it advisable to delete the file? If yes, will it be re-created when running new simulations?

Thanks.
Samuel

Attila Török

Jun 7, 2018, 6:05:48 AM6/7/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi Samuel,

Yes, the .tkenvlog file can be deleted safely. It is, as the name suggests, a simple log file, it's never read by OMNeT++, only written. It will be recreated if needed.

But before that, just out of curiosity: What kind of simulations have you been running, and for how long? 80GB is a LOT of logs.
Can you please try to show a few short sample messages from that file? Hopefully it won't crash your editor... :D

Attila

S. Edeagu

Jun 7, 2018, 6:43:55 AM6/7/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi Attila,

Thanks for the answer.

I've been running dynamic bandwidth allocation algorithms for passive optical networks on Windows 10 for several weeks. I noticed that my hard disk space was getting used up but I didn't know why until today when I saw the size of the log file. I ran several simulations in parallel, some of which failed with errors and had to re-run them.

I've tried to open the log file with Notepad/Wordpad but not it's possible. However, I'll try again before deleting it.

Samuel

Attila Török

Jun 7, 2018, 6:53:59 AM6/7/18
to OMNeT++ Users
You could try using some standard GNU command-line utilities like "tail" or "head" to get small snippets out of the file without having to load it all at once into memory.
Attila

Attila Török

Jun 7, 2018, 8:28:15 AM6/7/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Once you delete it, and run some similar simulations, hopefully the same messages will be written to this file, but in a much smaller size initially, so you can open it.
It's not that important since Tkenv is now on it's way to oblivion anyway, I'd just like to know what on Earth is going on there.
Attila

S. Edeagu

Jun 7, 2018, 10:13:50 AM6/7/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Ok, Thanks. I'll get back to you once I get something out of the file.

Samuel