Training period

hisi...@yahoo.com

May 28, 2015, 12:25:38 PM5/28/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everybody,

i have a question because of the time, which is needed to learn Omnet. At the moment i'm at the stage of writing my master thesis. My task is to develop a protocol for wireless sensor networks (wsn) especially decentral slot assignment (TDMA). I made an design and can implement it at a specific hardware, but only with a few nodes. In addition, it would be good to simulate the protocol.
I would like to know how much time is needed to learn Omnet?

Thanks in Advance!

Greetings Pat

Michael Kirsche

May 29, 2015, 5:07:58 AM5/29/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hard to say, that depends on a) your own background in C/C++ programming, b) your actual task and what existing code/examples you can use, c) your learning strategy and your own skills, ...

If you are interested in simulating your own protocol and you have a basic implementation, I suggest to checkout existing frameworks like INET (maybe the wireless tutorial, available in the latest development release / Github repository) and start by understanding it and the OMNeT basics (TicToc tutorial and various other courses with materials are available online).
Then create a simple wireless tutorial without MAC protocols, only a simplified PHY (idealwireless) and integrate your MAC protocol (your TDMA solution).

That's what I would probably do...

hisi...@yahoo.com

May 29, 2015, 11:17:13 AM5/29/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

thanks for your help! I know it is difficult because you don't know my skills. Actually, i can't estimate them, too :-)
Since yesterday, i read the manual about Castalia. Don't know, if you know it. If yes, do you think it is the better
choice or INET?
Otherway, I would try it in the way you described.

Michael Kirsche

Jun 1, 2015, 7:57:14 AM6/1/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
The choice between INET and Castalia mainly depends on what you want to look into.
If you are interested in the actual protocols running inside your WSN, then INET might be the better choice (as Castalia does not support IPv6 and so on).
If you are interested in routing, overlay problems and specific wireless and physical models for BANs and WSNs, Castalia might be the better choice.

Castalia does not enable graphical debugging though, simulations in Castalia are run from the command line, creating output graphs with some tools and OMNeT help eventually.

mento...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 6:47:57 AM7/26/16
to OMNeT++ Users, hisi...@yahoo.com
Hello!
Are you done with the slot assignment? I need to do slot assignment and frame length selection at MAC layer using TDMA protocol.
I need help in it.