How does one model wireless connections?

jopo jopo

Oct 19, 2017, 5:19:01 AM10/19/17
to OMNeT++ Users
I know there is the INET framework. But I hardly found the C++ code which manages to propagate the messages to the hosts in the wireless medium without ever using gates.
How is this done in OMNET++?

Rudolf Hornig

Oct 19, 2017, 8:26:04 AM10/19/17
to OMNeT++ Users
The usual way is, to have a single (global) simple module at network level which represents the physical medium (electromagnetic spectrum). It knows about the position of the hosts and if a host wants to transmit, it sends the packet to the 'medium' module which delivers it to other modules that it thinks are in range. Handles also collisions etc. Packets are sent with direct messages, or sometimes even just using C++ interfaces directly (like in INET).