omnet++ or NS3?(simulation of a realistic network)

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 18, 2016, 5:36:00 AM10/18/16
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,
I am new to Omnet++.I would like to know which simulator performs more realistically.Can anybody suggest whats the real difference between both.Which simulator performs better in which scenario?This question might be odd for everyone but my professor wants to check the performance difference of the both.

Regards
Subin

Rudolf Hornig

Oct 18, 2016, 1:08:59 PM10/18/16
to OMNeT++ Users
There is no simple answer to that question. The best you can do is search articles with the topic of comparing network simulation. Just search on google scholar.

On general, the more realistic the simulation, the slower its performance. OMNeT++ itself is NOT a network simulator, but is a generic simulator framework with a lot of tools around the simulation idea. INET Framework is an OMNeT++ model that is running on top of OMNeT++ and provides network related models.

NS3 on the other hand is more monolithic (i.e. it is indeed a network simulator and the simulation core is not detached from it).

As for performance, both are "just" c++ libraries so at the end it depends how well written and detailed is the actual simulation model (or the part you are using).