General question on source data rate.

elif.c...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2017, 5:39:57 AM10/3/17
to OMNeT++ Users

Merhaba,
     I want to know if I can increase the data rate provided by source (transmission rate) in any easy way. (I am using "UDPBasicBurst" as the source)
Now I am increasing the rate by decreasing "sendInterval" or by increasing "messagelength". But I guess thats not ideal way. Also decreasing the "sendInterval" makes the simulation very very slow.

I want the data tranmission rate at source to be 100Mbps

Thanks!

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 3, 2017, 6:29:28 AM10/3/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

There isn’t other, or you increase the size of the packets or you decrease the time between packets or both. You can increase the packets to a size near 1500 Bytes (12000 Bits) that it is the MTU of Ethernet. In this case the time between packets is 120 Micro seconds for a bit rate of 100Mb/s

If you are using wireless system 100Mb/s is more than it can transmit, the maximum bit rate for 11a/g is more or less 20Mb/s

Message has been deleted

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 5, 2017, 10:49:32 AM10/5/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

I haven’t tested the 11n model and I don’t know the performance, but there are several thinks that you can check, the bit rate that the frame has been transmitted is in the trace, you can check if the frame is in reality transmitted at 600Mb/s, if the frame is been transmitted at 600Mb/s it is probable that there are many collisions and errors.

Oct 16, 2017, 7:23:01 AM10/16/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

Oct 31, 2017, 10:35:14 AM10/31/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

No, 54Mb/s us the maximum bit rate, but after you transmit a packet the node must wait the ACK, and after it receives the ACK, it must wait a difs period … . If you add the different times (difs, sifs, physical header …) the performance is about 20Mb/s

Nov 21, 2017, 12:55:28 PM11/21/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Considering that TCP is a congestion-controlled transport protocol you cannot increase the transmission datarate.

[]'s

On 20 November 2017 at 06:56, <elif.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
For UDP, there are sendInterval, messagelength etc. How do I increase the transmission rate of TCP?

Below TCP config is used: But I do not see any parameter where I can increase the transmission data rate
**.Host0.numTcpApps = 1
**.Host0.tcpApp[*].typename = "TelnetApp"
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].localAddress = ""
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].localPort = -1
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].connectAddress = "Host1"
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].connectPort = 1000

**.Host0.tcpApp[0].startTime = 0.5s#15s + exponential(5s)
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].numCommands = exponential(10)
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].commandLength = exponential(10B)
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].keyPressDelay = exponential(0.1s)
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].commandOutputLength = exponential(40B)
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].thinkTime = truncnormal(2s,3s)
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].idleInterval = truncnormal(3600s,1200s)
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].reconnectInterval = 30s
**.Host0.tcpApp[0].dataTransferMode = "object"

**.Host1.numTcpApps = 1
**.Host1.tcpApp[*].typename = "TCPGenericSrvApp"
**.Host1.tcpApp[0].localAddress = ""
**.Host1.tcpApp[0].localPort = 1000
**.Host1.tcpApp[0].replyDelay = 0
**.tcpApp[*].dataTransferMode = "object"

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 1:29:28 PM UTC+3, Alfonso Ariza Quintana wrote:

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/omnetpp.

Prof. Ivo Calado, D.Sc.
Instituto Federal de Alagoas - http://ifal.edu.br/
Site: http://sigaa.ifal.edu.br/sigaa/public/docente/portal.jsf?siape=1819085

Putt's Law:
       Technology is dominated by two types of people:
               Those who understand what they do not manage.
               Those who manage what they do not understand.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Nov 21, 2017, 2:39:27 PM11/21/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

The performance of the TCP depends of the flavor that you select, there isn’t a specific parameter that would allow to control the bit rate.

Nov 28, 2017, 10:01:59 AM11/28/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

You can check if the packets are discarded in the queues, if the packets arrives in burst there is a high probability of queues became fill

Nov 29, 2017, 5:43:59 AM11/29/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

By default, in inet 3.4 the statistics are disabled. You can check the packet drops by the queue dropPkByQueue

Nov 29, 2017, 6:50:56 AM11/29/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

The statistics are disabled by default in inet, this is the reason that you obtain 0, you need to check the queue packet drop

elif.c...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2017, 2:33:01 PM11/29/17
to OMNeT++ Users
I am sorry, but how I do enable statistics and view the queue packet drop..?

Also what is the way to reduce or eliminate this queue packet drop?. I tried to increase the maxQueueSize to 100. But it did not help either

Thanks!

elif.c...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2017, 3:05:16 AM12/12/17
to OMNeT++ Users
What is the way to check queue packet drop.?  Can you help me!

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 12, 2017, 1:39:11 PM12/12/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

In the coordinator class that are you using (for example Dcf)

You can include this line

@statistic[PkDrops](source=count(NF_PACKET_DROP); record=last);

elif.c...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2017, 3:42:41 PM12/13/17
to OMNeT++ Users
 Thanks!. I can see packetdrops in statistics now.

I wonder, if there is any way to avoid or reduce this drop?. Most of the packets are dropped in this case.

Note: I used UDPVideoStreamSvr2 and UDPVideoStreamCli2 for traffic generation

elif.c...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2017, 3:15:16 AM12/14/17
to OMNeT++ Users
In the trace file, there is a message "Frame VideoStrmPk has been dropped because the PendingQueue is full". This means that there are no more space to be added to pendingQueue.

I assume that setting maxQueueSize will set the PendingQueue size as well. I tried setting it to 0,1,..100. Any non-zero value of maxQueueSize given same number packet drop. If size is set to 1 or 1000, it does not make any difference.

Any way out?

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 14, 2017, 1:06:07 PM12/14/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

You are injecting traffic at a rate that the network cannot support. In theory you can use bit rates of 600Mb/s but only in very close distances and low noise.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 14, 2017, 1:06:48 PM12/14/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

You need to reduce the traffic.

elif.c...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2017, 2:02:25 PM12/14/17
to OMNeT++ Users
The reason I want to reduce the packet drop is to increase the data rate.  The maximum I get is some where around 20Mbps. Even if I use 802.11g or n, same data rate. Rest all packets are dropped at the pendingQueue in mac.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 18, 2017, 6:52:46 AM12/18/17
to omn...@googlegroups.com

Hove you check that the binary bit rate of the lower layer is 600MB/s?

It is possible that the values that you set in the configuration doesn’t change the bit rate and the modules are using the default bit rate (54Mb/s)