Error when running a first example on OMNET++ 5

hana...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 11:31:00 AM5/17/18
to OMNeT++ Users

Hello everyone,

I am starting to learn OMNET++ 5 , I begin by running the Tictoc1 example of the official tutorial (on ubuntu 16.4). The built phase is OK but in the Run phase , after some time where the console shows me this :

Running simulation...
** Event #0   t=0   Elapsed: 9e-06s (0m 00s)
     Speed:     ev/sec=0   simsec/sec=0   ev/simsec=0
     Messages:  created: 1   present: 1   in FES: 1
** Event #4335872   t=433587.2   Elapsed: 2.00017s (0m 02s)
     Speed:     ev/sec=2.16776e+06   simsec/sec=216776   ev/simsec=10
     Messages:  created: 1   present: 1   in FES: 0

I got this error :

Error: simtime_t overflow adding 0.1 to 9223372: Result is out of range (-9223372.036854775807,9223372.036854775807), allowed by scale exponent -12 -- in module (Txc1) Tictoc1.tic (id=2), at t=9223372s, event #92233720
undisposed object: (omnetpp::cMessage) Tictoc1.tic.tictocMsg -- check module destructor
End.
Simulation terminated with exit code: 1

and the problem that occurs is

java.lang.runtime exception

Could anyone please help me, I have been searching all the day in the net without finding a solution
I appreciate that very much

Regards,
Hana Rhim,

Attila Török

May 17, 2018, 11:42:01 AM5/17/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Hana Rhim!

This is nothing to be worried about, the error occurs simply because the Tictoc1 simulation does not have an end, and if it isn't limited in any way (say, by a maximum simulation time limit), it would just go on forever. However, the type representing the simulation time has a finite resolution and range, so this is what stops it eventually: The simulation is unable to represent the time of the next event when it gets really far in the execution.

But this is just the technical explanation of the error at hand, the real question is, why doesn't it run with a graphical window? The TicToc tutorial is meant to be executed (up to a point at least) using the graphical user interface (or environment; like Qtenv, or maybe Tkenv). But your simulation runs in "text mode", using Cmdenv, even though that would not be the default. Do you know if there is any reason for this? Did you perhaps simply change the run configuration to start Cmdenv instead of Qtenv, or there were some issues with building Qtenv? If the latter, we should definitely try to sort them out.

Attila

hana rhim

May 17, 2018, 12:36:44 PM5/17/18
to omn...@googlegroups.com
OK
Meanwhile, when installing OMNET (following a video tuto on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxpjHJAre3E), I have changed the yes in the lines  WITH_QTENV=yes and WITH_TKENV=yes with a no in the file configure.user

I settled them to the initial vlaue (yes) but I still got the same problem; it doesn't run with a graphical window but instead in "text mode"

--
Hana RHIM
PhD Student in TIC (Supcom)

Attila Török

May 17, 2018, 12:40:09 PM5/17/18
to OMNeT++ Users
You have to run ./configure and make again after changing the values back to yes for them to have an effect. Even the comment under the video you linked states this. And, if I may ask, why don't you follow the official Install Guide, available in the doc/ folder? All these random tutorials on the internet everywhere usually do more harm than good.

Attila

hana rhim

May 17, 2018, 1:34:19 PM5/17/18
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Yess , it works with the graphical window
Thank you very much !

For the tutorial, i want something that helps me with the official Install Guide because the installation didn't work at the beginning