When use the data rate 6Mbps and when use 18Mbps for VANETs?

Tian Bin

Mar 23, 2015, 1:01:38 PM3/23/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

I want to figure out the reason of the selection for data rate in VANETs. I found most of paper use 6Mbps (DSRC/WAVE recommend??), while a few persons use 18Mbps.
In Veins, it provides the accurate BER model for 6Mbps and 18Mbps (just support the two data rate).
Obviously, the 18Mbps can transmit more data in unit time. So, could every expert tell me: (what situation) when we use 6Mbps and when we use 18Mbps?

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Mar 23, 2015, 2:09:56 PM3/23/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com

the control frames must be sent at the minimum mandatory bit rate, the broadcast frames are usually sent at the minimum mandatory bit rate, but the standard allows sending them to other bit rates , the unicast frames, usually are sent at the maximum bit rate,

Tian Bin

Mar 23, 2015, 3:08:19 PM3/23/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alfonso

I, indeed, use the broadcast which most applications of VANETs rely on. While, I have a little question: for IEEE802.11p, it's data rate option is 3, 4.5, 6, 9, 18, 24, 27 Mbps. Does it mean the 6Mbps is the minimum mandatory bit rate for broadcast frames?

Best Wishes!

Bin TIAN, Ph.D student
LIMOS Laboratoire UMR 6158 CNRS - FRANCE

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Mar 24, 2015, 4:59:35 AM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com

This is the information in the standard

18. Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) PHY specification

18.1 Introduction

18.1.1 General

“The OFDM system also provides a “half-clocked” operation using 10 MHz channel spacings with data

communications capabilities of 3, 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, and 27 Mb/s. The support of transmitting and

receiving at data rates of 3, 6, and 12 Mb/s is mandatory when using 10 MHz channel spacing. The halfclocked

operation doubles symbol times and clear channel assessment (CCA) times when using 10 MHz

channel spacing. The regulatory requirements and information regarding use of this OFDM PHY are in

Annex D and Annex E.”

Mandatory are 3, 6 and 12

But the broadcast can be send at any bit rate

Tian Bin

Mar 24, 2015, 7:37:04 AM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alfonso

Thank you. It's helpful to me. I'll check the related part of standard you mentioned.

Best Wishes!

Christoph Sommer

Mar 24, 2015, 10:06:37 AM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Tian Bin wrote:
> In Veins, it provides the accurate BER model for 6Mbps and 18Mbps (just
> support the two data rate).

Just for completeness: this is only correct for Veins up to (and
including) version 3.

Newer versions of Veins support arbitrary Phy configurations. For
example, any data rate specified in IEEE 802.11 can be configured in
Veins 4a2.

Best,

Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Sommer
Distributed Embedded Systems Group

Tian Bin

Mar 24, 2015, 12:06:03 PM3/24/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Christoph

You are right, currently I am using Veins 3.

Additionally, what's your opinion for my question that why most paper use 6Mbps data rate? Under Alfonso's help, I know that the broadcast can be send at any bit rate, while the control frames must be sent at the minimum mandatory bit rate, the broadcast frames are usually sent at the minimum mandatory bit rate. So I suppose 6Mbps is a proper choice for control message (hello or beacon) and data message. However, I am not sure...