MiXiM: residual capacity isn't changing

Marius Schneidermann

Mar 30, 2011, 4:38:57 AM3/30/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
everything is running well in my program, but the consumed power isn't
reducing the residual capacity.

************************
963600.713: residual capacity = 5.50754e+07
device 0 (physical layer) consumed 4645 mW-s at
activity 0: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 1: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 2: 4645 mWs and 121.98sec
activity 3: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 4: 0 mWs and 0sec
WARNING: device physical layer total time 121.98 != sim time 963600.713
(may not matter)
963600.713: residual capacity = 5.50737e+07
device 0 (physical layer) consumed 6303.93 mW-s at
activity 0: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 1: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 2: 6303.93 mWs and 121.98sec
activity 3: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 4: 0 mWs and 0sec
WARNING: device physical layer total time 121.98 != sim time 963600.713
(may not matter)
963600.713: residual capacity = 5.50765e+07
device 0 (physical layer) consumed 3525.22 mW-s at
activity 0: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 1: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 2: 3525.22 mWs and 121.98sec
activity 3: 0 mWs and 0sec
activity 4: 0 mWs and 0sec
WARNING: device physical layer total time 121.98 != sim time 963600.713
(may not matter)

All of the nodes has different consumption like expected and only for
transmission (i just want to see how long they can send) the power is
drawn.

Regards,
Marius

Jes

Mar 30, 2011, 9:06:23 AM3/30/11
to omnetpp
Hi Marius
I met the same problem. At first, I thought there should be some
problem. Then I found that just because the values of capacity and
nominal capacity in ini file are too big compared to drawing
battery... Try decreasing those values and u will see the difference.
Cheers,

On Mar 30, 7:38 pm, Marius Schneidermann

Laura Marie Feeney

Mar 30, 2011, 11:30:10 AM3/30/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Jes wrote:
> Hi Marius
> I met the same problem. At first, I thought there should be some
> problem. Then I found that just because the values of capacity and
> nominal capacity in ini file are too big compared to drawing
> battery... Try decreasing those values and u will see the difference.
> Cheers,

Hi Jes,

I'm not sure "too big" is exactly the right description. The values are
intended to model real batteries -- if you think there's an error in the
values, please report it!

Using realistic battery capacities means that if it would take a year
for the application to drain the battery, then you need to run a year of
simulated time to see the battery drain. Obviously that's not
practical, so you need to think about what your simulation experiment is
trying to measure.

If you want to show that protocol A is more energy efficient than
protocol B, then you care more about the energy consumed when running
protocol A vs running protocol B than the absolute value of the battery
capacity - set it to a large value and don't care.

On the other hand, if you are interested in protocols that respond to
differences in capacity (e.g. load balancing), then you need to think
about how to model what is a likely distribution of relative capacities
at various points in the evolution of the systems. That is the reason
for supporting both capacity and nominal capacity in the interface: You
may decide that manufacturing variance is modeled as uniformly
distributed around +/- 0% of the nominal capacty, for example. Or you
might model energy capacity after some time as normally distributed. Or
you might want to model the effect of a particularly heavily loaded node
(possibly due to exogenous effect such as an attacker) on the network.

Similarly, if you want to investigate the lifetime of a deployed system
(i.e. will this system run for two years?), then you probably need to
use a different kind of model.

Regards.
Laura

hesham mahmoud

Mar 30, 2011, 11:43:52 AM3/30/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
hi laura
am new to omnetpp and mixim but i need to compare 2 MAC protocols in their energy consumption of the battery i dont know how to compare them both and are there ready made modules for SMAC or TMAC protocols ??

thanks

Laura Marie Feeney

Mar 30, 2011, 12:19:00 PM3/30/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
The change in the residual capacity is small because the residual
capacity is large.

However, the energy consumption values below suggest that there is some
issue how you are recording the energy consumption. First, only one
activity is being recorded - usually a radio interface has at least two,
send and receive. Second, the duty cycle seems implausibly low - the
radio seems to have been active for ~100s out of ~1M seconds of
simulation time or a duty cycle of .01%, which seems very strange.
Third, the energy consumed seems plausible for the reported values (35 -
50 mW imples a current of 10-20 mA @ 3V), but it's unusual that each
node reports using a different current for the same activity over the
same time -- definitely not impossible, but you should perhaps check
that this is what you intended.

Regards,
Laura

Behrouz Seyedi

Apr 12, 2012, 4:54:24 AM4/12/12
to omn...@googlegroups.com, lmfe...@sics.se
I added inetsimplebattery module in adhoc host. I run simulation for 1000 seconds, but residual energy doesn't change. I use DSR routing protocol.
can anybody help me?
thanks in advance.

**.battery.nominal = 25
**.battery.capacity = 25
**.battery.voltage = 10
**.battery.resolution = 1s
**.battery.publishDelta = 0.05
**.battery.publishTime = 20s
**.battery.ConsumedVector = true

khawla ki

May 4, 2012, 10:53:33 AM5/4/12
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi marius,

Am new to omnet++ and mixim.. where can i find the consumed power for each activity . i just found the mean consupltion of energy  in file.sca

Thks in advance ..
Message has been deleted

noor alsaedi

Mar 14, 2015, 9:52:10 AM3/14/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com, marius.sch...@googlemail.com, nligh...@yahoo.com

Hi everyone .. I need to calculate the residual energy for sensor node ... ay help will be appreciated.

OmnetUser

Jan 19, 2018, 11:51:10 AM1/19/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello everyone, I implemented a routing protocol for WSN using Mixim and I want to know the energy consumption of each node, but after simulation i foud that all the nodes consume the same way. A node witch participate on the routing  and the other no, a cluster Head node and a simple node also even the sink it consumes the same value as other nodes , Does any one know what's the problem?

I joind a screenshot of my results.

Thanks in advance

omnet.png